Free Consultation: (720) 213-6204Tap to Call This Lawyer
D. Mathew Blackburn

D. Mathew Blackburn

The Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law, Business Law, Estate Planning
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

D. Mathew Blackburn is a licensed Colorado attorney and practices before state and local taxation authorities, The Internal Revenue Service, The United States Tax Court, The United States District Court, The United States Bankruptcy Court and in Colorado State Courts. Mathew studied Business Administration at Mississippi State University focusing on management and accounting, he then obtained his Juris Doctorate Degree from Valparaiso University, and continued on to obtain a Masters in Taxation Degree (LL.M.) at the University of Denver where he represented taxpayers at the University of Denver's Low Income Tax Clinic and competed in the American Bar Association's Student Tax Challenge Writing Competition, all while running a fledgling law firm. Mathew has volunteered with many organizations such as the Volunteer Tax Assistance Program, YMCA, and Metro Area Lawyers and believes in giving back to the community.

Practice Areas
  • Tax Law
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Free Consultation
    15 or 30 Minute free phone consult.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    We also accept payment plans when possible.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. Tax Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
- Current
Robinson and Henry P.C.
Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
University of Denver
LL.M. / Tax (2014)
Activities: Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
Valparaiso University
J.D. / Law (2011)
Activities: Civil Clinic, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site Coordinator
Mississippi State University
B.B.A. / Management, Accounting, and Business Law (2007)
Professional Associations
Colorado Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
Coalbed Methane Property Rights
Indiana Farm Bureau
Speaking Engagements
Colorado Fiduciary Access Act, Lone Tree
Colorado Professionals Network
Lead Counsel Certified Business, Family, & Tax Law
Lead Counsel
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
37 Questions Answered

Q. What type of tax filing option is best for my business?
A: You should seek out a tax attorney to advise you. You're asking for legal advice and attorney's can't provide legal advise to people who are not their client.
Q. My wages were garnished by the IRS due to back taxes the garnishment was stopped and I was since declared noncollecta
A: No, federal income taxes are not deductible.
Q. Person died 6/18/2015; taxes filed. Stock found/sold 9.8K in 2016 w/ tax withheld. No tax due. File form __?
A: 1041
Q. If an employer did not file an 1099 on a contractor and has decided to file the following year what tax liability does
A: Contractors don't have employers, they have clients. Contractors are responsible for reporting all income derived form their trade or business regardless of whether they receive a 1099. You should report your income and expenses on the appropriate return
Q. I filed my taxes using TurboTax's free online service. Is there a way for me to "cancel" my filing and re-do them?
A: There's no such thing as canceling a return. You would need to file an amended return correcting any errors on the original return.
Q. Is there any way to get around paying the capital gains tax on selling my home. I have lived here 14 months.
A: Find a local attorney that knows about 1031 exchanges.
Q. Not having health insurance 2016. Will I be penalized when Filling my taxes
A: Under the affordable care act (aka ObamaCare) yes there is a penalty, however it only applies once you reach a certain income. Also a recent executive order has created some confusion regarding the enforcement of the ACA penalties. At this point the answer is maybe.
Q. My dependent who is my live in girlfriend has defaulted student loans if I claim her can the IRS take my refund?
A: Your refund will not be intercepted for the student loan debts of a dependant. If you file as married the return will be intercepted and you would have to file for injured spouse relief (not the same as innocent spouse relief).
Q. My mother passed in 2014, she was behind in her taxes 3 years prior to her death. The house was about to be foreclosed.
A: I assume there was a probate and the house was transferred from your Mother's estate to you and your siblings. What you would need to do is either offer your siblings a buyout, or sue for partition. Just because you paid the taxes and improved the property does not mean they automatically owe you their share, it's going to depend on how the home is owned and you'll also need to review your state laws. I would highly suggest seeking the help of a local attorney that knows your state and county real property laws.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Castle Rock
9800 Mount Pyramid Court
Ste 400
Englewood, CO 80112
Telephone: (720) 213-6204
Fax: (855) 297-3110