Free Consultation: (615) 883-9562Tap to Call This Lawyer
David Earl Phillips

David Earl Phillips

David E. Phillips, Attorney at Law
  • Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Foreclosure Defense
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

David started Bankruptcy Practice as soon as he was admitted to the Bar to practice law in 1986. Since that time he has practiced Bankruptcy Law almost exclusively and has filed over 7000 bankruptcy cases over the past 31 years. David concentrates on Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 cases mainly dealing with Consumer Bankruptcy cases. He was Board Certified in Consumer Bankruptcy Law in 1995. He maintains a small office practice with his wife, Debbie Phillips, being his paralegal, almost from the beginning of his practice. Over the years his Father and David and Debbie’s son, Justin, has also worked at the office, so this is truly a family practice and he likes to think this helps to offer very personal service to each and every client. By maintaining a specialty in Consumer Bankruptcy, he feels we can offer the expertise that helps to make a very difficult process for most people to be as easy and less stressful as possible. He has been in the same office for almost 30 years in Donelson and David and Debbie have also lived in Donelson for their entire 37 year marriage. On weekends, if the weather is nice, David and Debbie can be found touring the back roads of Tennessee and Kentucky on their Harley. As members of the Music City Chapter of (HOG) Harley Owners Group, they now have over 150,000 miles in the saddle. If you have questions about Bankruptcy, please feel free to call, email or come by our offices at 2525 Lebanon Pike, Nashville TN 37214 at any time.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Consumer Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
David E. Phillips, Attorney at Law
- Current
Nashville School of Law
J.D. / Law (1986)
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award
Belmont University
American Jurisprudence
Lawyers Co-Operative Publishing Company
Insurance Law
Professional Associations
NACTT Academy for Consumer Education
- Current
Middle Tennessee Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees
Associate Member
- Current
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Current
Tennessee Bar Association # 012214
- Current
Nashville Bar Association
- Current
American Board of Certification
Websites & Blogs
Nashville Bankruptcy Attorney
Legal Answers
45 Questions Answered

Q. Our Ch. 7 Bankruptcy has been discharged. The motion for foreclosure has been filed and
A: Yes. You do not have to wait on the sale. You should notify the attorney doing the foreclosure and the sheriff office that you are vacating the property. Also, turn off the power and water. If you had a bankruptcy lawyer, tell them that you are moving out. Good luck!
Q. i have enrolled in national debt relief almost 4 months ago did i make a mistake
A: Sometimes programs like that help. Might be best to see a lawyer to review your situation and see what your best option is. Most attorneys offer a free consultation so it would not hurt to get an opinion as to whether if the debt consolidation is the way to go. Hope it works out. Good luck!
Q. How long does a Chapter 7 case last?
A: If there are no assets for the trustee to administer a chapter 7 usually takes about 4 months. Talk with a lawyer near you to see if bankruptcy is a good option in your situation. Hope it works out. Good luck!
Q. Under what conditions should a husband and wife both file under Chapter 7?
A: Generally, if you have a large amount of joint debt or individual debt it will be to your advantage to file together. Saves cost and fees to file together also. Have a lawyer look at your situation and see if bankruptcy will be a good option. Hope it works out. Good luck!
Q. Will my employer be notified if I file for bankruptcy?
A: Mr. Nachbar is correct. Also, if you owe your employer money then they would be a creditor and should be notified of the bankruptcy case. See a bankruptcy lawyer in your area. They will be able to advise you as to whom will be notified if you file a bankruptcy case. Good luck!
Q. Can I stop a foreclosure on my home if I file for bankruptcy? How fast will it work?
A: The automatic stay protection of bankruptcy goes into effect immediately upon filing the case. If it is filed before the foreclosure then it will stop the foreclosure sale at least temporarily. See a bankruptcy lawyer asap. There are limitations on the automatic stay if you have previous bankruptcy cases filed in the last year. Good luck!
Q. If I file for bankruptcy, what happens to my student loan debt?
A: In almost all cases your student loan debt will not be discharged in a chapter 7 filing. It is very difficult to discharge student loans in bankruptcy. They may leave you alone for the few months you are in the chapter 7 but after that you would be back to dealing with the collection of the loans as if no bankruptcy had been filed. See a bankruptcy lawyer to review your situation. Sometimes a chapter 13 might be a better option with student loan debt. Good luck!
Q. How soon can I get another credit card after I file for bankruptcy?
A: You are free to apply anytime after you file that you wish. It will be up to the creditor if they wish to give you a card or not. The discharge of a chapter 7 usually comes about 4 months after filing if all goes well. Some creditors may not even consider your application until after the discharge is entered. It is totally up to the creditors. Hope it works out. Good luck!
Q. Filed chapter 7. Deadline date to object to discharge is 7/24/17. When can I request a refund of wages garnished?
A: I recommend waiting until the trustee files a no asset report. When that is filed you are free to pursue the garnishment money. You might try a request to the creditor before filing an official motion. Remember it must be more than $600 dollars garnished by a single creditor to use 11 USC 547. Hope it works out. Good luck!
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
David E. Phillips, Attorney at Law
2525 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, TN 37214
Telephone: (615) 883-9562
Fax: (615) 885-2141