Free Consultation: (847) 807-7405Tap to Call This Lawyer
James G. Dimeas

James G. Dimeas

Award Winning Criminal Defense Lawyer and Published Author
  • Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABronzeSocial Media

-24 years of experience handling criminal cases in Cook County, DuPage County and Kane County, as well as federal courts as far away as Las Vegas. -Rated “superb”, the highest classification by AVVO, the organization that rates every attorney in the nation. -Recognized as one of the Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers. This designation is only reserved for the “best of the best” and only for a very few distinguished attorneys. -Named Best DWI Attorney by Best DWI Attorney in 2017. -Recognized as a Top 20 Criminal Defense Attorney in Chicago by Expertise -Published Author having written Chapter 1 of instructional book for lawyers representing criminal defendants in identity theft cases.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
  • White Collar Crime
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fees depend on the case. Call for a free and confidential consultation.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
7th Circuit
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Greek: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
James G. Dimeas & Associates
- Current
Chicago Criminal Defense Lawyer with 25 years of experience handling criminal cases in Cook County, DuPage County and Kane County.
Senior Partner
Legal Defenders, P.C.
- Current
Senior Partner
The Chicago Lawyers Group, P.C.
Palivos Law Firm, P.C.
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (1992)
Loyola University Chicago
B.A. (1989)
Top 50 Criminal Defense Blogs And Websites by Criminal Defense Lawyers
Top 20 Criminal Defense Lawyer in Chicago
Best DWI Attorney
Best DWI Attorney
Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
The Expired Meter Hero of the Month.
The Expired
Received award for exposing a fatal flaw in the Village of Palatine's Red Light Camera program which led to the dismissal of a red light camera ticket. In response the Village of Palatine forced to call a special meeting of the Village Board to change the red light camera ordinance.
Professional Associations
The DuPage County Bar Association
- Current
The National Trial Lawyers-Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
Federal Trial Bar
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Websites & Blogs
James G. Dimeas' James G. Dimeas & Associates Website Profile
James G. Dimeas' Legal Defenders, P.C. Website Profile
Legal Defenders, P.C. Website
James G. Dimeas & Associates Website
Chicago Criminal Defense Lawyers Blog
Chicago Criminal Lawyer Blog
The Tech Wire
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. If someone was charged with 1 count and they change it to 6 counts what does that mean?
A: It sounds like you are facing a felony. When you are first arrested, you will be charged with the crime that the police officer and the prosecutor think you are guilty of. At some point, you will either have a preliminary hearing or a grand jury will determine whether there's probable cause to believe that a crime was committed and that you committed the crime. If it is determined that probable cause exists, you will be charged with whatever the prosecutor thinks they can prove in court. These are the charges that matter, the Information, or the Indictment, depending on whether you had a preliminary hearing or a grand jury. So whether you started off with 1 charge and ended up with 6 charges is not as important as what you are being charged with and whether the state will be able to prove each and every element of the crimes you are being charged with. You need to consult with your attorney to discuss the specifics of what you are being charged with and whether the state will be able to prove the charges.
Q. What should I do to petition for expungement? Should I wait another 3 years or start right now due to new laws
A: You cannot start the expungement process until you are eligible to start. When you will be eligible to file a Petition to Expunge depends on the case and what the statute provides for. File as soon as you are eligible to file.
Q. Got arrested for poss in 2012. Got probation in 2015, 2 years, came off in 2017. Once completed judge orders expungeme?
A: The judge cannot order expungement unless a Petition is filed, notice is given to all interested parties, such as the legal authority for the town you were arrested in, the local police, the state police and the prosecutor. They will be given an opportunity to object and the judge will ultimately make a decision. Expungement is allowed under a specific statute and cannot just unilaterally be ordered by a sentencing judge.
Q. is it a crime for a teacher to tell a 18 year old female student that he has feelings for her?
A: If the female student is 18 years old it should not be illegal but I would think that it could cause problems with their employer.
Q. What happens if i have an ongoing trial for several years and miss my court date? Is there a warrant? Do i get bail?
A: It's entirely possible that the judge issued a warrant for your arrest. You should contact your lawyer immediately so that he can get you back in court so can take care of the warrant. If you had a good reason for missing court, make sure you let your lawyer know. Whether you will get a bond will depend on whether you have missed court in the past, your criminal background, the charges you are facing and a variety of other factors that your lawyer would be better suited to answer.
Q. detective wants to interview me but wont tell me what the accusations are or who has made them
A: If the police come over to your residence, or take you down to the station and start asking you questions, immediately demand to talk to a lawyer. The police may try to convince you that if you talk to them nothing will happen. Unfortunately, it is perfectly legal for the police to lie to you to get you to talk to them. But once you demand they get you a lawyer all questioning must stop. So demand a lawyer and don't change your mind. You have a Constitutional right to demand they get you a lawyer.
Q. I live in Illinois and I want to know if brass knuckles are still illegal in Illinois under the concealed carry law?
A: Not only is it illegal to carry brass knuckles in Illinois, it is illegal to own, possess, buy or sell brass knuckles in Illinois.
Q. I was ordered in December to pay a fine of $255 before April 20th to activate a 1 year court supervision.
A: It seems like tomorrow you are to appear in Court for termination of your supervision. If so, then the Court will want to see that you did everything you were supposed to do before finishing your case and terminating your supervision. If they bring up the issue of the money, explain that you are unable to pay because of the reasons you state in your email and the judge should either give you more time to pay, or just enter a judgment against you, or even possibly waiving the amount depending on whether it's fines, fees or costs. But as long as your failure to pay is not wilful, you should be ok.
Q. Ya my brother passed weak ago killed in a car crash , and he had a felony charge he was going threw should I send court
A: If you have the death certificate you should give a copy of it to his lawyer and have the lawyer present it to the Court.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
James G. Dimeas & Associates
120 W Golf Rd
Suite 110
Schaumburg, IL 60195-3618
Telephone: (847) 807-7405
Cell: (312) 593-1769
Fax: (888) 264-2447
Legal Defenders, P.C.-Main Office
8770 W Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, IL 60631-3515
Cell: (312) 593-1769
Legal Defenders, P.C. - Satellite Office
1901 N. Roselle Road, Suite 800
Schaumburg, IL 60195