Free Consultation: (800) 256-8862Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jerry Lutkenhaus

Jerry Lutkenhaus

Rated Best Workers Comp Lawyer in Central Virginia
  • Social Security Disability/SSI, Workers' Compensation
  • Iowa, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Virginia Workers Compensation and Social Security Disability Attorney for 35 years, rated "superb" by AVVO, and rated best workers compensation lawyer in Central Virginia in Richmond Magazine. I have been representing injured and disabled workers on their claims, appeals and disputes in the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission, Virginia Court of Appeals, Virginia Supreme Court, and the United States District Courts. Frequent lecturer for Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.

Practice Areas
  • Social Security Disability/SSI
  • Workers' Compensation
Additional Practice Area
  • Social Security Disability
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Jerry Lutkenhaus
- Current
Law Office dedicated to provide aggressive legal services for the injured and disabled worker in the areas of Virginia Workers Compensation & Social Security Disability
Managing Attorney
Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
University of Iowa
Iowa State University
B.S. / History and English
Honors: Phi Alpha Theta Honorary
Highest Rating for Legal Excellence AV
Martindale Hubbell
This reflects their highest rating for legal ability & ethics.
Superb Rating 10.0
Service Award
West Richmond Rotary
Superb Rating
In 2010 and 2011 I was awarded AVVO's highest rating.
Slected as Best Attorney for Workers Compensation in Central Virginia
Richmond Magazine
This was based on a survey of 2,000 lawyers in the Richmond area.
Service Award
Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
Professional Associations
Henrico Bar Association
- Current
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
National Organization of Social Security Represenatives
- Current
Richmond Bar Association
- Current
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Iowa State Bar Association
- Current
West Richmond Rotary
Committee Chairman
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Guest Lecturer
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Adjunct Professor
Articles & Publications
Social Security Tips for Workers Compensation Lawyers
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Virginia Workers Compensation Tips
Speaking Engagements
Social Security Disability for Workers Compensation Lawyers, VTLA, Richmond, VA
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Social Security Representative
Nationial Organization of Social Security Representatives
Legal Answers
145 Questions Answered

Q. My boyfriend injuried his head January 201 on the job. And the insurance company want even pay for medications
A: As the other lawyer said, your date is incomplete. You only said 201_. You do have to file a claim for benefits with the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission within two (2) years of the date of the accident. Assuming you have done so, then the next step would be a hearing before the Commission. If you are successful, then the insurance company has to pay. From your post it appears there has been no decision. I cannot tell if this means no decision by the insurance company or does it mean no decision by the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission. After a hearing, it can take a Deputy Commissioner at the Commission anywhere from 30 days to six months to issue a decision on a contested claim. Until the insurance company is held responsible by the Commission, they don't have to pay for medical bills. You would be well-advised to consult an experienced workers compensation lawyer on your case.
Q. reopened workers comp case for condition getting worse, am i entitled to another settlement
A: It depends. If you previously had a full and final settlement for this particular accident, you cannot then get a second settlement. You need to review your prior settlement to see if it was a full and final settlement. You can also ask the lawyer who obtained this settlement for you. If your condition is now worse, then that is the precise reason why one should be cautious in entering a settlement.
Q. My husband fell about 12 feet off a ladder in December. He fell on his head and shoulder. He went to the dr
A: If this is a DC company you would have to consult a DC lawyer. If it is a Virginia company, then you can contact a Virginia lawyer about the situation. At this point the employer is providing him a light duty job. If he is still being paid his pre-injury salary, he is not entitled to wage loss compensation except for the three weeks he missed. If this is a Virginia case, contact me for additional information.
Q. Can the Ins Co tell the employer to stop the weekly paychecks without notifying you or your Workman's Comp atty?
A: You signed an agreement for an award but was the award entered by the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission. You can call the Commission at 1-877-664-2566 to ask if your agreement was entered as an award. Also, you should contact your attorney to find out if an award was entered. If there is no award, then it up to your attorney to get you an award. You would need to talk to him about getting an "award" in your case.
Q. I I have a permanent partial disability he and workers comp payments or by weekly and it's been going on since 2002.
A: You indicate you have been on workers compensation since 2002. In Virginia the usual limit for workers compensation payments is 500 weeks or about 10 years. However, you indicate you have been receiving workers compensation for about 15 years. You would need to provide more details. Is this a Virginia workers compensation claim?
Q. How long after injury can i file for workers comp?
A: You should immediately file a claim with the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission with your unpaid bills. This often gets bills paid. The number to call is 1-877-664-2566. If you have a serious injury, then you may want to contact a Virginia Workers Compensation lawyer.
Q. While I'm waiting on my settlement will i still get my weekly payments from worker's comp
A: If you are under an AWARD that awards you weekly WC payments and unless there is an agreement to the contrary or unless your payments have been suspended, you would receive weekly payments up to the date the settlement is approved by the Commission (but these are questions you should ask your lawyer). This only pertains to Virginia Workers Compensation Law.
Q. Are independent contractors eligible for workers' comp?
A: If you are a true independent contractor, then you should have purchased workers compensation insurance to cover your work. If it is possible you are an "employee" and maybe covered by your employer's insurance then you should contact a workers compensation lawyer to review your situation. I base this opinion on 35 years representing injured and disabled workers in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Q. Virginia comisiĆ³n aprove my settlement how long now I need to wait to get my check in mail
A: Most insurance companies send out a settlement check upon receipt of the settlement order. However, technically, they can wait 44 days before there is a penalty (30 days for an appeal plus the 14 day penalty period). But again, most insurance companies want to get it over with and will send out the settlement check right away. I base this opinion on 35 years of representing injured and disabled workers in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
4906 Fitzhugh Ave
Suite 201
Richmond, VA 23230
Toll-Free: (800) 256-8862
Telephone: (804) 358-4766