Free Consultation: (865) 637-3531Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. James Charles Wright

Mr. James Charles Wright

Butler, Vines and Babb
  • Personal Injury, Business Law, Appeals & Appellate...
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Mr. Wright was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He attended Middle Tennessee State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1977); the University of Tennessee (J.D., 1980). He was honored with the Order of the Coif and served on the Tennessee Law Review. Mr. Wright's father was a lawyer so he grew up working in his Dad's office. He is admitted to the United Supreme Court Bar as well as all Tennessee State and Federal Courts. He is also admitted before the Sixth Circuit and Fourth Circuit Bar as well as the U.S. Court of Claims. His practice is varied covering a broad spectrum of matters. Author credits include: Tennessee Current Legal Summaries. Co-Author: Avoiding Environmental Liability in Tennessee; Hazardous Waste in Tennessee. Mr. Wright was the Distinguished Alumni Speaker - University of Tennessee College of Law 2008 Commencement. He has been selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer and has been selected and listed in a listing of Knoxville's best attorneys. He is AV rated and has been selected as one of the 10 best attorney's in Tennessee in client satisfaction. He has also been selected as one of the top 1% of lawyers in America by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The firm as a whole has been noted as a U.S. News Best Law Firms in America and as a top law firm in Fortune Magazine. Mr. Wright is a past Chair of the Tennessee Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section. He has been on the Executive Committee of the Tennessee Bar Association Section on Environmental Law since the founding of the Section and is a past Chair of the Section. He is the Co-Chair of the Knoxville Bar Association Environmental Law Section. Mr. Wright served as lead State Chair for Tennessee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance and as an Education Committee Chair. Mr. Wright is a member of the American Inns of Court - Hamilton Burnett Chapter.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Business Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Construction Law
  • Environmental Law
  • Insurance Defense
Additional Practice Area
  • General Civil
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fee arrangements are negotiable with the client to meet the client's needs. Work can be done on an hourly basis, by the project or task or on a contingent fee or cost savings basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Butler, Vines and Babb
- Current
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Honors: Order of the Coif Graduate
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Honors: Order of the Coif Graduate
Top 1% of Lawyers in America
The National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Top 1% of Lawyers in America
American Institute of Legal Counsel
Mid-South Super Lawyer
Super Lawyers
Professional Associations
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Current
Activities: Mr. Wright has served: Education Committee and as a State Chair. Mr.Wright also has a CLMP designation from CLM. He has spoken at the annual conference.
Tennessee State Bar # 009285
- Current
Activities: Mr. Wright has was a founding member of the Environmental Law Section. He has also served as The Chair of the Section Mr. Wright has also chaired the Section on Torts and Insurance Practice.
Articles & Publications
Tennessee Current Legal Summaries
Butler, Vines and Babb
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
30 Questions Answered

Q. Can a person make a promise on behalf of someone else?
A: Releases of liability generally enforceable to protect from liability for negligence. The release would not be valid to protect from intentional acts of the business or its employees. You are right to weigh carefully whether to sign a release.
Q. Question about the difference between a proposal and a contract.
A: The contract is as binding as its terms. If the due diligence provided an out then it may not be binding. If all terms have been met then the buyer may owe damages for breach or you may be entitled to have the contract performed. The right to retain or return of escrow will be controlled by the contract. Also the contract may provide for attorney fees and costs.
Q. Commercial lease agreement. Landlord trying to back out before moving in, after signed lease and deposit.
A: I agree with the comment that the lease agreement controls. A lease creates an interest in the real property. It also establishes the rights and obligations between the parties. Unless the Lease provides the Landlord the right to rescind the lease or the Landlord is some how claiming some other term of the lease provides the remedy of terminating the lease by the Landlord, then your finance has a right of action and may seek specific performance of the lease and / or damages. Look for an attorney's fees and costs provision in the lease. Sometimes these are mutual - prevailing party recovers.
Q. What recourse for purchase of a home seller didn't even bother including a property disclosure AT ALL
A: If the issue was not disclosed, and the owner knew you may have a basis to sue to rescind and or damages. I am also concerned as to whether this was revealed on your home inspection report. If your home inspector didn't discolse this may be an issue. Also, there may be some exposure to the agents for failing to make the disclosures and failing to obtain.
Q. I signed a 19 month lease in March of 2017, and today, I received a notice that my rent is going up $100 in 30 days.
A: Contact the management company. Ask them what is the basis for the increase. Unless the lease or an addendum provides a means to increase the rent then the rent would not change.
Q. What legal repercussions will my son face for backing out of a purchase contract after waiting 60days with no closing?
A: The contract will provide the terms as to whether your son can terminate. Review the contract or have a lawyer look at for you.
Q. How can my husband remove his deceased sisters name from deed. Both are on deed
A: Your question raises more questions. For instance, did the sister have a will; did she have children or a spouse; were her parents still living? He will need to speak to any attorney to help in regard to the ability to transfer the property. It's possible to work through but without doing anything, he will run into problems trying to sell.
Q. Can my girlfriend live with me without being on the lease?
A: Likely yes. But carefully review the lease to make sure there is not a provision related to occupants.
Q. In TN can a employer fire a employee for not signing a dock pay agreement
A: In the absence of an employment contract or union agreement an employer in Tennessee can terminate for any reason. If there is a contract there may be a description of a disciplinary process or other terms of employment - for example a step discipline process. In the absence of an agreement, if the termination is without cause the employee may be entitled to unemployment benefits.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
East Tennessee/ Smoky Mountains Location
2701 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Telephone: (865) 637-3531
Fax: (865) 637-3385
108 N. Spring St.
Murfreesboro, TN, USA
Telephone: (865) 637-3531
Fax: (865) 637-3385