Free Consultation: (203) 795-1211Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nicole M. Livesey

Nicole M. Livesey

  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate...
  • Connecticut, New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Nicole M. Livesey is an attorney practicing with Floman DePaola, LLC, a law firm in Orange, CT. She is admitted to the Connecticut and New Jersey Bar. Nicole attended Quinnipiac University School of Law where she graduated with honors in the Family Law concentration. While at Quinnipiac, Nicole worked in the New Haven Superior Court through the Sappern Fellowship Program providing assistance to pro-se parties filing temporary restraining orders and divorce paperwork. She also worked in the New Haven Probate Court drafting judicial opinions for Judge John Keyes, one of which was later published in the Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal.

Practice Areas
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
  • English: Spoken, Written
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Honors: Honors in Family Law concentration
Fairfield University
B.A. / Politics, Italian Studies, Studio Arts
Honors: Deans list, MAAC All Academic Team, Alpha Mu Gamma- Foreign Language Honor Society
Activities: Division 1 Cross Country- Team Captain
Excellence in Clinical Work
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Distinguished Academic Achievement in Trusts and Estates
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Professional Associations
New Haven County Bar Association
- Current
Connecticut Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
In Re Estate of Lipsher
Quinnipiac Probate Law Journal
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. what are father's rights in CT? Is this likely to be filed as petition in probate court? in Bridgeport?
A: If your ex-wife is '"assisting" your minor daughters with petitioning the local probate court to change their last names, she would have to prove, beyond a preponderance of the evidence, that the name change is in the child's best interest. Technically they would need to apply for the change of name through a "friend" which could be your ex-wife. Since she is not necessarily disinterested in this particular situation, the court may appoint a guardian ad-litem to ensure the child's best interests are heard and are impartial. The judge will use this "best interest" standard to determine whether or not to grand the change of name request. You are required to be on notice that this petition is being filed and should attend the hearing and make your views known. You have the option of hiring an attorney to represent your interests. If the judge sees this is very contentious, he/she may even push this back to the court that presided over your divorce decree. From cases I've seen, this can go both ways.
Q. My father left me/sisters a will in Puerto Rico. My aunt is executor but won't provide documents. What should I do?
A: You need to consult a Puerto Rico attorney if that is where your father's estate is being probated (wrapped up in the court). This is a very specific situation that would need to be handled by someone who is in Puerto Rico.
Q. My girlfriend needs me to be the fiancé or husband to get her deceased father inheritance?
A: I am sorry, but your question is not very clear. I don't know of any legal rules regarding a beneficiary of an estate needing to have a fiance or husband in order to received said inheritance. I'm also unsure why there is a question about the money going into her bank account versus yours. If her father left her an inheritance that passes through the probate court process, the court will tell the executor to distribute the money directly to your girlfriend and it would be hers and hers only to put in her bank account. If the inheritance is some sort of life insurance policy passing by beneficiary designation, then the company would let you know who is to receive the money. If he left it to your girlfriend it would be hers to put in her bank account. Theses are all hypothetical situations, as I cannot tell from your question exactly the situation or what you are asking. I hope this helps a bit but you should consult an attorney regarding your specific situation, or rather, your girlfriend's situation.
Q. I was wondering if there's any way I can petition the state for my fathers ashes so my step mom doesn't get them
A: Yes. This petition can be made with the local probate court in the jurisdiction where your father died. If your father had no specific instructions as to who should handle his remains, the probate court would hear your plea and determine if a change should be made. You may want to consult a probate litigation attorney for this matter.
Q. If I settle a PI case for my daughter for $15K, do I have to ask permission of probate court? I see 45a-631 but less
A: Your PI attorney should be able to assist and guide you with this. It looks as though your question got cut-off, but I believe the Connecticut Uniform Transfer to Minors Act applies here and either you need to be made custodian or be appointed by the Probate court as guardian of the estate of the minor to accept this sum of money. If your PI attorney will not assist you, you should consult another attorney.
Q. If I am my mother's Health Care Ageny, Attorney-in-fact for health care decisions and conservator for future incapacity
A: This is a good question! It seems as though you are named as her health care agent, which means you are able to make health care decisions, end of life decisions, consent to surgery etc. If your mom doesn't have a Durable Power of Attorney instrument naming you as her Power of Attorney for financial decisions, then yes, you would need this document in order to manage her finances and do any financial planning that she may need, especially as she may move to a nursing home setting (if that's what you are alluding to). if mom no longer has the capacity to execute a Power of Attorney instrument at this time, you would need to apply to be appointed as conservator of her estate with the local probate court. I would suggest consulting with an attorney, as you may need assistance or at least a some guidance moving forward. Good luck!
Q. man leaves only a 1973 12' motorboat in his name- what does the widow do to sell it?
A: Probate would need to be opened in order to change title of the boat to the wife. I would recommend consulting a probate attorney or contacting the local probate court to see if they can guide you if you'd like to try to do it on your own. Good luck!
Q. I recently found a life insurance policy for my paternal grandparents, who passed decades ago. Who gets the money?
A: To get an answer that would be the most helpful for you, I would recommend consulting an attorney and bringing any documentation in reference to the policy with you. If you have the policy document in front of you it may also be best just to call the life insurance company and inquire about making a claim for the policy. If it is still active and valid and needs to be distributed, the company should be able to direct you as to who was named as a beneficiary on the policy. If no beneficiary is named they would instruct you as to what they may need. Any further assistance would require consulting with an attorney. I hope this helps!
Q. Can 2 or more unrelated people buy property in Florida
A: You should ask this in the Florida questions section to get a state specific answer to your question. Good Luck!
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Milford, CT, USA
Floman DePaola, Attorneys and Counselors at Law
378 Boston Post Road
Orange, CT 06477
Telephone: (203) 795-1211
Fax: (203) 795-1215