Free Consultation: (770) 469-8887Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.

Robert W. Hughes Jr.

Robert W. Hughes & Associates, P.C.
  • Probate, Elder Law, Business Law...
  • Georgia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have been in practice since 1992. My practice primarily focuses on business and probate litigation. I have handled numerous appeals to the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court for my clients. My firm is a small firm specializing in superior service to our clients. Prior to practicing law, I owned a large printing, publishing company that I sold. My team consists of three lawyers, a Sr. Paralegal, a paralegal and an office manager who all have worked with me for many years. We are technologically savvy and communicate with our clients via email where possible. Through the other attorneys in my office, we handle domestic matters as well as other civil litigation.

Practice Areas
  • Probate
  • Elder Law
  • Business Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Estate Planning
  • Consumer Law
  • Divorce
Additional Practice Area
  • Wrongful Death
  • Free Consultation
    We offer some free consultations depending on the matter about which you seek our help. Usually, free consultations are reserved for matters that could be handled on a contingency fee basis. This could be will challenges, personal injury, and some credit card collection cases. It does not include domestic work or estate planning. Please check with my administrative staff to see if your matter is one that qualifies for a free consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    We accept some probate litigation, wrongful death personal injury matters on a contingency basis.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I charge $340 per hour. Others in my firm charge as little as $175 per hour. We require a retainer agreement before we undertake any work.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English
  • German: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Robert W. Hughes & Associates, P.C.
- Current
Robert W. Hughes & Associates, P.C. was formed on Janaury 1, 2009 after I hired an associate to work with me. I have worked from the same location since 1992 in a variety of partnerships
Hughes & Associates, P.C.
This was a professional corporation that ended in 2009.
Hughes & Kaplan
This was a general partnership that was dissolved when Mr. Kaplan accepted a position with a larger firm.
Hughes, Kaplan & Gravante
This was a general practice law firm that dissolved when Mr. Gravante accepted other employment.
Georgia State University College of Law
J.D / Law
Florida State University College of Law
B.S / Hotel and Restaurant Administration
Honors: graduated cum laude
Darton College
A.A / Business Administration
Honors: Graduated cum laude
Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year
Atlanta Legal Aid Foundation- Gwinnett Chapter
Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year
Atlanta Legal Aid Foundation- Gwinnett Chapeter
Professional Associations
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Current
Activities: This is an association devoted to improving the legal help offered to the elderly. You can access the website at
Supreme Court of the United States
Admitted for Practice
- Current
Georgia Trail Lawyers Association
- Current
Activities: GTLA is an association of lawyers dedicated to preserving citizens rights in the courts and is comprised mostly of plaintiff's lawyers.
Gwinnett County Bar Association-Probate Section
- Current
Activities: I am a member of the Probate and Estate Planning Section of the Gwinnett County Bar Association. We offer pro bono services once a quarter to persons seeking help through the Gwinnett County Probate Court.
Supreme Court of Georgia
Admited for Practice
- Current
Court of Appeals of Georgia
Admitted for Practice
- Current
American Bar Association
- Current
State Bar of Georgia
- Current
Gwinnett Pro Bono Association
pro bono efforts
- Current
Activities: I represent numerous people at the request of the Gwinnett Legal Aid Foundation. I have twice been named Pro Bono Volunteer of the Year.
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Current
Activities: I donate some of my time each year to the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation to represent those who are in need of legal help.
Gwinnett Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
How to Use a Petition For Year's Support
Robert Hughes
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Father died and his wife is a grantee on the house deed
A: I assume your father lived in GA as well? If so, the deed you described is a tenants in common deed. Your father and his wife each own 1/2 of the house. You need to make sure his estate is administered so the 1/2 house he owns can be sold. Because your step mom lives in the house, I assume, she is the likely buyer of the 1/2 she does not own. Under GA law, if your father died without a will, the wife will get no less than 1/3 of his estate and maybe even 1/2 of the estate. That means that she will get 1/3 of your Dad's 1/2 If the house meaning she gets 1/ 6 more of the house giving her at least 2/3 ownership of the house. Landlord tenant governs who can live in the house.
Q. Who has rights to a deed as a guarantee but it doesn't say, "WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP"
A: I have never heard of a guarantee on a house deed. I might believe that the wife guaranteed the debt on the house. If the need says that your father is the GRANTEE, then he is the only owner. If the wife is also listed as a GRANTEE along with yoru father, but no words of survivorship exist, then she is likely a tenant in common and owns 1/2 of the house while your father's estaet now owns the other half of the house.
Q. I am single and ready to hire a lawyer to write my Last Will & Testament, which includes leaving my assets to 4 minors.
A: When you create your will, you should include a Trust for Minors as part of the will. It will name the trustees. The actual trust will not be established until the trustees determine that the conditions to establish the trust are met. They will then set up a trust account at a bank or brokerage account for the beneficiaries.
Q. Must a Will be filed with Probate court if no dispute and no property?
A: You are required to file the Will NOT FOR PROBATE with the probate court in the county where your mother lived. You are not required to file the will for probate if there is no property that needs to pass through the estate. It sounds like that is the case for you.
Q. My father just died and he did not have a will.
A: Whenever someone dies owning property in their name exclusively, an estate needs to be established in order to transfer the assets to the heirs. In your case, your father died intestate (without a will). That means that his wife is entitled to 1/3 of his estate and the children share the remaining 2/3. You then have to determine what your father owned exclusively. The description of the deed you gave leaves me wondering who owns the property. If there are two names as GRANTEES, then the property is owned by two people. If the words WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP appear on the deed, then the Wife is now the owner of the real estate. That does not mean your mother in law owns the other items that your father owned. That property still needs to go through the estate.
Q. My mother passed away the house went to the kids and one of the kids stay in the house and dont want to pay the taxes
A: If you have opened probate and transferred the house into the names of the children, then you can sign away your property rights with a quit claim deed. If you along with your brothers and sisters own the property, you can ask the court to sell the house and divide the proceeds between all of you.
Q. My father died 12!years ago and my step mother didn't probable the will. Now she's trying to transfer property into her
A: The simple answer is that if you own a piece of the property, you will be required to sign a deed to give up your ownership rights. If the land is still in your father's name, then an estate will probably have to be opened to transfer the land from his name into the name of his spouse at the time and his children. She will be the owner of 1/3 of that land and you and your siblings will own 2/3 of that land.
Q. Seeking first step in tolling statue of limitations
A: There is no first step in tolling a statute of limitations. For a slip and fall in GA, the statute of limitations is 2 years from date of fall. Things that toll the statute are mental incapacity, not yet being 18 years old and death. There could be others.
Q. My husband passed away and had a loan in his name only. Am I still responsible for making payments? He left no will.
A: You are not responsible for any debts that are in your husband's name. A creditor can demand that assets of your husband be sold in order to satisfy the debts. Without looking more deeply into the exact title to the property, it is hard to say how things can work out. IRAs and 401ks have beneficiary designations and belong completely to the named beneficiary without any obligation to pay any debts of the owner of the accounts. You should pay an experienced probate lawyer for an hour of his time to go over your issues to make sure you are handling everything properly.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
We are inside a BB&T Building with other offices
390 West Crogan Street
Suite 230
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
Telephone: (770) 469-8887
Fax: (678) 680-6095