Free Consultation: (877) 652-0183Tap to Call This Lawyer
Adam Alexander

Adam Alexander

Consumer Lawyer Michigan
  • Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Foreclosure Defense...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The Alexander Law Firm specializes Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act, (FCRA), Michigan Lemon, Debtor Defense, Spot Delivery and “Yo-Yo” cases, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, (TCPA), and other consumer protection and employment cases. Attorneys on staff also handle criminal defense cases of any kind. We have the experience and tools necessary defend you, prosecute debt collectors, creditors and furnishers of credit who are harassing consumers and derogating their credit reports.

Practice Areas
  • Consumer Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • DUI & DWI
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Most consumer cases involve "fee-shifting" laws that allow me to recover attorney fees from the Defendant(s)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Alexander Law Firm
- Current
MSU College of Law
J.D. (1996)
Michigan State University
B.A. (1988) | Pre-Law
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Advocates
- Current
Michigan State Bar # 53584
- Current
Articles & Publications
How To Dispute Inaccurate Credit
Speaking Engagements
Ask The Lawyer, Community House, 380 S Bates St, Birmingham, Michigan
Ask the Lawyer
Open community event to provide an opportunity for Michigan residents to consult with local attorneys regarding various legal issues
National Association of Consumer Advocates
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
68 Questions Answered

Q. Can a cosigner be denied on my auto loan if they don't live at the same residents.
A: The alleged requirement that co-signors must live at the same address sounds fishy to me. However, this may be a particular requirement of a specific creditor, rather than the dealer. I agree with you that this could be an effort to obtain a higher interest rate. I do not specialize in discrimination law, so I can't give you an opinion on that. Hope this helps.
Q. Hello I'm trying to get legal advice regarding an assult with multiple family members
A: If there was a police presence and a police report filed, the more likely there will be charges. Charges are ultimately decided by the prosecutor's office. I would need a bit more information to provide you with a more accurate answer.
Q. How many times a day are debt collectors legally allowed to call my home?
A: There is no bright line for the exact amount of calls that violates the law. Courts determine harassment on a case by case basis, considering the number and content of the phone calls, as well as whether third parties are contacted. Also, you should know that if your creditor is calling you (as opposed to a debt collector), the Fair Debt Collection Act does not limit the amount of calls. In fact, creditors are not "debt collectors" under the FDCPA and they are not governed by the rules. Finally, you can stop the calls by simply sending a "cease and desist" letter to the debt collector.
Q. My son is 15 being charged with resisting arrest and disorderly,tested positive for marijuana
A: More facts are required to provide you with an accurate answer. I urge you to retain a lawyer to defend your son as soon as possible. I suggest you find a lawyer who regularly practices in the court where the charges were brought.
Q. How serious is it to hack and install spy software on someones phone for a first time offender?
A: Have you been charged? Depending on the circumstances and your prior criminal record (if applicable), this action could be very serious. You need a good lawyer, particularly one who has experience in the district where you have been charged.
Q. I've been ill and unable to pay my bills on time, and I get tons of harassing collection calls every day.
A: Collection calls can be stressful. As hard as it is, you should have a plan. As outlined by the other attorney, you can send cease and desist letters to any or all debt collectors. However sometimes it is difficult to determine who is who when you are bombarded by multiple collectors. One good way to get organized is to order your credit report. You can get free reports annually at When you receive the credit reports, you will see most of your debt collection accounts there, along with the names and addresses of the debt collectors. This is a good way to start. And of course if any of the collection calls are harassing in nature you should contact a local FDCPA lawyer.
Q. What is filed in civil court veras small claims when the police refuse to go criminally after a contractor?
A: Criminal court is different than civil court. Law enforcement often refuse to prosecute wrongdoers (criminally) and tell consumers that this is a "civil matter". Accordingly, if you wish to pursue the wrongdoer, you must to so by filing a civil lawsuit. Small claims court limits damages to $6,000, as noted by Mr. Harris. You may want to consult with a consumer protection attorney if you are seeking damages in excess of $6,000..
Q. My mother keeps receiving excessive collections calls and she doesn't speak English.
A: A letter. You can write it and have her sign it. Find out who is calling her, (either check her call log or order it through her provider), and then send a certified letter. You can usually Google the phone number and identify the debt collector. Keep in mind it could be a scam caller. In that case, there is no way to stop it. The letter should include the name of the creditor/debt collector, the account number (if one exists and you can find it) and a general demand to cease and desist contacting this phone number. Make a copy of the letter. If they call again after receiving the letter, you now have a potential lawsuit under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Q. Can students sue their university if their football team doesn't do well?
A: Basically, you can sue anyone for anything. I think you want to know if such a lawsuit would have merit and potentially be successful. Of course the answer is: "No". The two main components of a civil lawsuit are "liability" and "damages". A Plaintiff must initially prove that the Defendant violated the law in some way. I suspect you are a UM fan, and I can understand why you are asking this question. But no matter how many times they lose to inferior competition - no laws have been violated. Poor performance, while commonplace at UM, is not against the law. Moreover, even if it was unlawful, you would still have to prove that you were damaged. The most common damages are monetary and I don't see a way that you would have actually lost money because of a bad football team. Possibly you are emotionally distressed but such emotional damages are rarely recoverable where there has not been intentional, wrongful conduct.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
17200 W. Ten Mile Rd., Ste. 200
Southfield, MI 48075
Toll-Free: (877) 652-0183
Telephone: (248) 246-6353
Fax: (248) 246-6353
26025 Palace Lane, Ste. 201
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
Telephone: (727) 484-0608
Cell: (248) 496-7950
Fax: (248) 496-7950