Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
- Landlord Tenant
- Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Foreclosure Defense
- Construction Law
- Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- Insurance Defense
- Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- New Jersey Courts
- New York
- English: Spoken, Written
- Founding Partner
- Adam Leitman Bailey, P.C.
- - Current
- Rutgers University - Camden
- Syracuse University College of Law
- J.D. (1995) | Law
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- New York State Bar  # 2754216
- - Current
Articles & Publications
- Case Study: Whether a Title Company is Liable for Lead-Paint Contamination When Documents Indicated Lead Paint Existed
- American Land Title Association
- New Rules of Substantial Rehabilitation to Remove Units from Rent Regulation Part II
- Mann Report Management
- Reading Biographies Will Make You a Better Leader
- Thrive Global
- Recent Changes to Co-op & Condo Laws
- The Cooperator
- Want Low Turnover and High Profitability? Focus on Merit-Based Compensation.
- Score New York City
- Residential Building Laws of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- New York Law Journal
- Lawyer Limelight: Adam Leitman Bailey
- “Residential Building Laws of the COVID-19 Pandemic” Fidelity CLE, Zoom
- Fidelity National TItle
- On July 14th, 2020 Adam Leitman Bailey will be conducting a continuing legal education (CLE) seminar on the residential building laws of the COVID-19 pandemic sponsored by Fidelity National Title Insurance Company.
- “The Residential Cases, Laws, and Orders You Must Know and Understand From the Spanish Influenza to COVID-19 to Effectively Practice Law”, Zoom
- Judicial Title
- On Monday June 29th, 2020 from 1:00pm to 2:00pm, Adam Leitman Bailey will be conducting a continuing legal education webinar via Zoom for Judicial Title discussing the residential cases, laws, and orders you must know and understand from the Spanish Influenza to COVID-19 to effectively practice law.
- Surviving & Thriving Through a Pandemic & Fiscal Crisis: Litigation & Transactional Strategies, Zoom
- Led by two top real estate attorneys, Stuart Saft (real estate transactional expert) and Adam Leitman Bailey (well-known real estate litigator), and moderated by Brian Tormey (president of New York’s premiere title agency), we will discuss advantageous strategies for positioning oneself during Phase 3 of New York’s reopening.
- Adam Leitman Bailey Speaks as a Thought Leader at The Real Deal’s Future City, The Real Deal’s Future City, Bahamas
- The Real Deal
- Adam Leitman Bailey joined a group of real estate experts in the Bahamas on January 28th, 2019 for The Real Deal’s Future City real estate summit. Mr. Leitman Bailey was the thought leader for a session discussing policies that are impacting developers and landlords.
- Dansker Capital Rent Regulation Panel, Dansker Capital, NYSE
- Dansker Capital
- Adam Leitman Bailey joined a panel of real estate experts along with New York City council members to discuss the anticipated rent regulation reform. This reform is to be the first in decades creating debate between real estate professionals and the New York City council over the terms of change.
- Certified Real Estate Attorney
- New York State Bar
Websites & Blogs
- Adam Leitman Bailey, P.C. Official Website
- Adam Leitman Bailey's Personal Website
- Adam Leitman Bailey Articles
1 Questions Answered
- Q. How do the new rent regulation laws affect a corporate lease to a nonprofit organization?
- A: If the building is operating under a municipal contract to provide housing to the homeless, then the tenants are exempt from rent stabilization. If there is no municipal contract, however, it is subject to rent stabilization unless otherwise exempt. One of those exemptions is where a charitable organization or non-profit is using the premises for its affiliates. This does not mean its clients. So, for example, if a University is using the premises to house its professors and students, those are affiliates. If, for example, the Salvation Army is using it to house unwed mothers, those are NOT affiliates. They are clients. However, still another exemption is for an “asylum” and the unwed mothers would fall under that category such as to exempt them from rent stabilization. But mere charitable status is not an exemption. However, under that same scenario, if the Salvation Army rented an apartment to an ordinary person as a mere tenant, that ordinary person would be residing in the unit as a rent stabilized tenant. If, however, that apartment were occupied by a social worker employed by the Salvation Army and having received the apartment for purposes of ministering to the unwed mothers, that apartment would be exempt as an “affiliation” unit, as noted above. As this brief synopsis shows, the issues can get very tangled and wind up relying on nuances of the facts presented.
Contact & Map