Free Consultation: (616) 965-6864Tap to Call This Lawyer
Brent T. Geers

Brent T. Geers

Geers Law
  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Estate Planning...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Brent Geers specializes in helping people empower those they trust and provide for those they love. Brent has been an attorney since 2012, working with individuals and families to marshal their time, talent, and treasurer for the benefit of their children, family, and community. He is a Grand Rapids Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” honoree, and currently operates his own practice, Geers Law. Brent is married to an educator, who employs his services as a chaperon for various school functions. He is also his daughter’s father – a girl who will become a president, not a princess.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Criminal Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Bankruptcy
  • Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations are available by phone only. I apply all other consultation fees toward subsequent fees for legal services.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    Blended contingency fee involves a reduced hourly fee and approximately 15% of the judgment amount.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    A reduced rate schedule is available to veterans with demonstrated income below 400% of the federal poverty line. A discount is always available to K-12 teachers and support staff, law enforcement personnel, and veterans whose income exceeds 400% of the federal poverty line.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Counselor & Attorney
Geers Law
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. / Legal Education (2012)
Honors: Deans List
Activities: Cooley Veterans Club
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. / American Culture (2001)
Activities: Resident Advisor
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan # P75904
Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law Section
Accredited Attorney
Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Geers Law
Legal Answers
63 Questions Answered

Q. i gave temporary custody of my son to my parents how do i get him back?
A: Are you under a limited guardianship plan? If so, you need to ensure that you've complied with it, and then file to terminate it. If this is a situation where you just allowed your parents to take your son without court involvement, and they didn't and won't file for guardianship, you can ask them to return your child or file the appropriate action in the court.
Q. My ex has full physical custody of our son just failed a drug test and faces jail time. What do I file in Michigan?
A: You may file a motion for change of custody. He (and you) should realize that if he is sent to jail without making suitable arrangements, CPS will be involved.
Q. if you are talking to a detective over the phone and he is asking you questions about a case generally speaking are
A: Without 1) custody and 2) interrogation, law enforcement may talk with you about any and everything without the need to inform you of your rights. You are always (very limited exceptions apply) free to say "I don't have anything else to say to you at this time".
Q. How can I get custody of my 17 year old who lives with his dad in Puerto Rico when the dad doesn't allow communications
A: Unless the 17 year old was taken to Puerto Rico and is being held by his father against his will, your chances of custody at this point are between slim and none. Your son is almost an adult, at which point he could very well decide to hop on a plane back to Puerto Rico anyway; or, he may decide to come live with you at that point.
Q. Does a father who is not on the birth certificate have​ any rights to the child
A: The father in your scenario would be called an unknown or putative father, and would have no rights until recognized by a court or through an Affidavit of Parentage. You (assuming that you are Mom) have no legal obligation to establish paternity. That obligation changes, though, when you receive state assistance or become a respondent to a child abuse or neglect proceeding - in which you'd have a duty to assist in ascertaining the father ("naming names").
Q. Can I sue ex gf if she stops paying for her car that was bought in my name?
A: You might have a claim against her to recover for her use of the car over these years. However, as to whomever you signed the loan agreement with, this has nothing to do with her. You will be held liable for the loan balance. Think about this for a moment: this woman had - and likely still has - bad credit. She doesn't even have a car in her name (it's yours). Do you think she would really care - other than the emotion of it all - if you sued her and won a judgement against her? You might be better off cutting your losses and moving.
Q. My bf pays child support for 1 child that he does not see.
A: We would need to know how much his current support order and yours totals compared to his income. Generally, total child support obligations top out at 50% of income. If your support order, combined with the current order, comes to less than 50% of his income, it's likely that the other order will not change. Incidently, that he sees the other child makes no difference for child support obligations.
Q. Is there any way to get out of this without going to freind of court of to actual court
A: Not to be snippy, but there is but one sure-fire way to avoid the child support issue: marriage. The state filing for child support indicates that someone is receiving state aid on behalf of the child. It does not matter if you all live together; the state has incurred an expense and is sitting as a creditor - you as the father is the debtor.
Q. Can the judge tell us why my mom owe money to a credit card company and what she used it for I'm going to probate court
A: The judge likely wouldn't know why your mom owes the money, nor would he or she have reason to. As personal representative, you could challenge the debt with the creditor.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
625 Kenmoor Ave SE STE 301
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-2395
Telephone: (616) 965-6864
Fax: (616) 536-8408