Free Consultation: (267) 663-9995Tap to Call This Lawyer
Cary B. Hall

Cary B. Hall

Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
  • Criminal Law, Family Law, Divorce...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

My practice focuses on civil, criminal and family law litigation with over 20 years of tested experience throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and Maryland. I have successfully tried civil and criminal jury trials, contested family law hearings, administrative proceedings and appeals. My passion is assisting individuals and small businesses with their legal issues.

Many moons ago, I earned an Ivy League degree in philosophy from Columbia University, and then my law degree from the University of Miami. While in law school, I was involved in graduate student government and was a contributing author and editor of the University of Miami Business Law Journal.

I began my legal career as a judicial law clerk in Towson, Maryland, and first established my own law practice there at the age of 26. I moved to Pennsylvania in 2000, and revived my solo practice after working for a few years with local law firms. These early efforts were rewarded by being named a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star” in 2005 and 2006 by the publishers of Philadelphia magazine. Since then, and based upon my law firm experiences, I have found that I can best serve my clients one-on-one as a solo attorney.

I also serve as an arbitrator in civil court cases, and have been court-appointed as defense counsel in state criminal prosecutions. In addition to my solo law practice, I additionally serve as a Special Assistant Public Defender in Magisterial District Courts throughout Montgomery County. I’m a contributing author (and have even been editor-in-chief) to the Montgomery Bar Association’s Civil Practice Manual, the definitive legal manual for practicing law in Montgomery County.

Currently, I am privileged to be a trusted advisor and knight-in-shining-armor to satisfied clients throughout the country. I pride myself on providing personalized and affordable legal service to my clients and I even return phone calls, something that doesn’t always happen with larger law firms.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Collections
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Estate Planning
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Juvenile Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Personal Injury
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Personal injury or other tort claims only.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Solo Attorney and Knight-in-Shining Armor
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
- Current
Law Firms in Towson, MD and King of Prussia, PA
Judicial Law Clerk
Baltimore County Circuit Court
Clerk for the Honorable Lawrence R. Daniels
University of Miami School of Law
J.D. (1995) | Law
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Research Techniques
Activities: Articles and Comments Editor, University of Miami Business Law Journal
Columbia University
B.A. (1992) | Philosophy
Honors: Dean's List
Activities: Coxswain, Men's Heavyweight Crew/Rowing Team; Undergraduate Dormitory Council
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Star
Law and Politics/Philadelphia magazine
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Star
Law and Politics/Philadelphia magazine
Professional Associations
State Bar of Pennsylvania # 85747
- Current
Montgomery Bar Association
- Current
Speaking Engagements
How to Conduct a Successful Client Intake Interview, Montgomery Bar Association
Montgomery Bar Association
Speaker/instructor concerning initial client interviews in criminal defense cases.
Websites & Blogs
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C. - Official
Legal Answers
629 Questions Answered

Q. If a house is owned by 3 brothers and only 2 want to sell, is there a legal right for force the 1 brother to sell?
A: Yes. The two brothers that want to sell the property can file an action in court requesting a "sale in lieu of partition." That asks the court to order a sale -- and the court will ultimately do it. This forces the lone hold-out to either buy out his two brothers' interest in the property or lose it to another buyer. Best of luck to you.
Q. Can i recant my statement to the police?
A: You can, but you might be threatened with (and prosecuted for) making a false statement under oath. Not good. The better bet is for you to inform the police -- and the DA's Office, if it gets to that -- that you do not wish to prosecute. They'll know they have an uncooperative witness and may agree to withdraw charges against your husband. By the way, this is what happens when the police are called: it's taken out of your hands immediately. Remember that the next time you dial 911. Best of luck to you both.
Q. Can I, as a 3rd party, file for custody of my niece while she in in custody of CYS? We are currently fostering. In PA.
A: I don't see why not. You would have standing to file for custody under current PA law, and obviously already have the blessing of CYS since the child has been placed with you. Realistically, however, you already have de facto custody, but filing now for a more long-term determination is probably a good idea. Best of luck to you.
Q. Why would a simple assault charge also show up as a felony for a first time offender? What happens next?
A: He was probably charged under a fairly new statute called "Strangulation," which is a second-degree felony -- and it's just as serious as it sounds. Your husband needs good legal representation, and right now, so that you both can nip this case in the bud before it progresses any further. I do a lot of these types of cases. If you'd like to talk, contact me ASAP via the information on my Justia profile. Best of luck to you both.
Q. If parent 1 signs away parental rights and parent 2 dies, does parent 1 still have rights to a minor child if not adopte
A: No. Once the parental rights are signed away and terminated by a court, Parent 1 has as much "right" to the child as I do.
Q. Can the officer who pulled me waive the jail time for driving while DUI suspension? He assured me?
A: Yes and no. The charge of driving while DUI-suspended (1543(b)) caries a mandatory jail time of 60 days -- or 90 days if you're caught driving with any amount of alcohol in your system. The judge can't change that, and the cop can't change that. The cop, however, has the discretion to change the actual charge at the magisterial district court hearing -- and *that's* what usually happens to avoid the jail time. Often, the charge will be changed to *1543(a)*, which is simply driving on a suspended license (non-DUI). The problem with that is it carries another year of license suspension on top of your current DUI-related suspension. Which means you're under the thumb of PennDOT for that much longer. Still, it's better than jail. See if the cop (or the judge) will change the charge to some *other* traffic citation that carries ZERO license suspension. That's your best bet. Best of luck to you.
Q. Can a mother take children to another state to live without father knowing or without his consent. From Pa to NC
A: If there's a custody order in place, absolutely not. There's a specific procedure for "relocation" cases that must be followed. Contact (and hire) a good family law attorney in PA for assistance on that. Realistically, however, if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around, does it make a sound? Likewise, if there's no court order, and no one complains about the relocation, it's pretty much a case of "no harm/no foul." If there's a relationship between the children and father, however, the mother should certainly consider that fact as a decent co-parent before spiriting the kids off to NC. Just sayin'. Best of luck to everyone.
Q. Received a citation for going 41 in a 25 MPH zone. Cop said he would cut me a break and cite me for 30 in a 25.
A: You can contest it, and it will be your word vs. the cop's word -- and/or whatever method used by the cop to check your vehicle's speed. How lucky do you feel? And do you want to take off half a day from work to go contest the ticket, and then perhaps lose and have to pay additional court costs for the hearing? By reducing the mph over the speed limit, the cop is giving you a break by not putting "points" on your driving record. Not a bad deal, honestly. I say it is what it is: pay it, and move on. Best of luck to you.
Q. My ex is one month behind in support. Are there any consequences for being one month behind?
A: He could be held in contempt for failure to make the required payment. Contact your Domestic Relations Office and inform them that your ex is now in arrears. They can discuss enforcement options with you. Best of luck to you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
25 W. Airy St., Suite 300
Norristown, PA 19401
Telephone: (267) 663-9995
Fax: (215) 525-4364