Charles E. Hutchinson

Charles E. Hutchinson

Principal of the Law Offices of Charles E. Hutchinson
  • Estate Planning, Business Law
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Charles is a creative problem solver and long time resident of Illinois. He has lived in Wilmette since 2011 with his wife and their three children. He received his B.A. in History from the University of Kentucky. He has a Juris Doctorate from Chicago's John Marshall Law School and is licensed to practice in Illinois. Charles is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, Phi Delta Phi honorary Legal Society, and the Wilmette/Kenilworth Chamber of Commerce.

Following his entrepreneurial spirit he has had since a child, Charles started his firm right out of law school. Having his own firm allows him to follow what he believes to be a core truth, "The first priority is the clients", not the billable hours required of large law firms in the area. From the very beginning the idea behind the Law Offices of Charles E. Hutchinson, Esq. was to help people protect and safeguard their assets for themselves, and for future generations to enjoy.

When Charles isn't in the office, you might find him coaching one of his children's soccer teams, baseball or softball teams.

Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Business Law
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Illinois
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
The John Marshall Law School
The John Marshall Law School Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Illinois  # 6313092
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. I live in IL. My CA friend wants to make me her power of attorney. How do we go about this?
A: Your friend needs to contact a local attorney in California. You do not need to do anything for her to make you her power of attorney or for her to revise her will. That will be handled between her and her attorney who is licensed to practice law in California.
Q. If I am the appoint administrator of my child’s estate in a lawsuit am I the one who would distribute the money?
A: Yes, the administrator of the estate is responsible to ensure the bills are paid, the taxes are paid, the assets are accounted for, any specific gifts are properly distributed, and the remainder of the estate is then distributed per the wishes of the grantor. There can be co-administrators. Administrators are allowed to ask for help from others. Administrators are not required to do the job, if for whatever reason a named administrator does not feel as though they can properly perform the dates, or if they just don't want to do it, they can sign or refuse to accept the position.
Q. My husband passed with no will. His children are telling me they want his 2 trucks, motorcycle and trailer?
A: Under Illinois law, when a married person, who also has children, dies without a will, the estate is divided up by giving the spouse 1/2 of the estate and the other 1/2 of the estate is divided evenly among the children. How the estate is divided is up to the person who will eventually named the executor by the court. I suggest that it may be in your best interest to ask the court that you be named the executor. I also think that Stephanie Sexauer can do an excellent job for you.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Charles E. Hutchinson
607 9th Street
Wilmette, IL 60091
Telephone: (312) 259-0672