Free Consultation: (513) 732-5900Tap to Call This Lawyer
Douglas A. Ball

Douglas A. Ball

Douglas A. Ball, Attorney at Law
  • DUI & DWI, Divorce, Family Law...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

No matter the case, we will find a way to help you For an experienced attorney who will fight for you, you've come to the right place. At our firm in Cincinnati, OH, our primary mission is to stand up for the rights of our clients. Whether you've had an OVI/DUI/DUS, are facing criminal charges, or are in the middle of a family law dispute involving a divorce, dissolution or custody issue, Douglas A. Ball will provide you with experienced legal advice and counsel. Most people don't know how the law works, or how to make sure that others don't take advantage of them in legal cases. Do not take chances with your case. Hire an experienced attorney who knows how to defend his clients. Come see Douglas A. Ball in Batavia or call him for a free telephone consultation today.

Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Domestic Violence
  • Civil Rights
  • White Collar Crime
  • Criminal Law
  • Probate
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Free Consultation
    Up to a 30 minute free telephone or in person consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    American Express, Visa, MasterCard & Discover
  • Contingent Fees
    On Personal Injury Cases and other cases by exception.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Each case is different and I will discuss the retainer with you upon consultation.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Douglas A. Ball, Attorney at Law
- Current
Extensive experience in litigation focusing on Domestic Relations, Criminal Law, OVI/DUI/DUS, Juvenile Law, Civil Law and Personal Injury
Assistant Public Defender
Clermont County Public Defender's Office
• Handled voluminous dockets in Municipal and Common Pleas Courts. • Extensive Bench and Jury Trial experience, as well as Motion and Discovery practice.
Clermont County Domestic Relations Court
Presided over all aspects of cases heard in the Domestic Relations division of the Common Pleas Court, including custody and support determinations, domestic violence and contempt motions.
Law Clerk, Legal Intern & Attorney
Schuh & Goldberg
Upon Becoming a licensed attorney was an Associate handling criminal and civil matters including bench and jury trials.
University of Cincinnati College of Law
J.D. / Law (1990)
University of Cincinnati
B.A. / Broadcasting (1986)
Diploma / Drama, Music, Performing Arts (1982)
Above and Beyond Continuing Education
Ohio Bar College
Completion of 24 hours or more of continuing education during a mandatory reporting period to the Ohio Supreme Court.
Professional Associations
Court of Common Pleas, Division of Domestic Relations
Chariman of the Domestic Relations Committee
- Current
Cincinnati Museum Center
- Current
Activities: Lead Rotunda Tours at the Cincinnati Museum Center, as well as Subway, Brewery and various other tours.
National Highway Safety Transporation Association
- Current
Activities: The SAME Certification as police officers have to conduce field sobriety testing.
Ohio Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (OACDL)
- Current
Ohio State Bar Association
- Current
Clermont County Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
Tedrick v. Tedrick, 12th Circuit Court of Appeals
The Ohio Supreme Court
Speaking Engagements
Douglas A. Ball, Attorney at Law, Clermont County Bar Association
Clermont County Bar Association
In depth presentation on the Intoxilyzer 8000 being used to measure breath alcohol in OVI/DUI cases.
Field Sobriety Testing
National Highway Safety Transporation Association
Websites & Blogs
Douglas A. Ball, Attorney at Law
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. What happens if you refuse a sobriety test?
A: Refusal To Submit For An Alcohol Test Refusing to submit for a test of your blood alcohol content (BAC) in Ohio will automatically suspend your license. There is an additional penalty that doubles the time you must wait to receive limited driving privileges. Douglas A. Ball, Attorney at Law, will fight for you if you were cited for breath test refusal, and defend you against charges of OVI/DUI. His 25 years of experience in drunk driving defense in Clermont County and surrounding counties may be the key to preserving your freedom and driving privileges. Know Your Rights! Find out where you stand if you refused a breath test. Call 513-286-3530 to arrange a FREE consultation of up to 30 minutes, over the phone or in person, with Batavia lawyer Douglas A. Ball. Breath Test Refusal: Understanding Your Rights And The Consequences You have the right to refuse to take a chemical, urine or blood test, but under Ohio's implied consent law such actions carry license suspension as well as other possible penalties and charges. It certainly limits the state's evidence, especially if you also refuse to participate in the field sobriety tests. A charge of refusal refers to the "official" blood alcohol test (breath, blood or urine) after you are formally arrested, usually conducted at the police station. There is no suspension or penalty for refusing the roadside Breathalyzer test, unless the arresting officer's squad car is equipped with a portable machine approved by the Director of Health (which is rarely the case). You also have the right to refuse field sobriety tests (such as the Walk and Turn). These tests could be compromised anyway if you have physical disabilities, are older or overweight, or if they were performed under adverse conditions. Your license cannot be suspended for refusing to participate in the field sobriety tests. We Know Your Defenses You are only required to submit to alcohol or drug testing if you are arrested and taken into custody. Even after you've been arrested and charged, there are a multitude of ways we can help you. Our team takes cases like these very seriously, and we have a strong track record of helping our clients get themselves out of serious trouble. We take all factors into consideration and will fight for you every step of the way. For example, did the officer have probable cause to pull you over in the first place? Did the officer clearly explain Ohio implied consent law and the implications of refusal?
Q. 3rd ticket under 18 in Ohio. One speeding, a reckless opp and a accident , what am I looking at when I go to court
A: You need to check with the BMV on your points assessments. Were you able to do any remedial courses? Did you plead quilty to the previous charges? There is no way to determine what a Judge may or may not do without more detailed information. Here is a link to see what the BMV can assess. You are correct to be concerned. I recommend that you contact an attorney in the County where the ticket was issued to evaluate you options. Many attorneys offer a free consultation. I wish you the best of luck.
Q. Is good behavior probation the same as non reporting?
A: Did you take the plea deal? If I am understanding you correctly, you are on 2 years of probation with good behavior and are required to 30 hours of community service. If you do not commit your community service with the time allotted, you may be faced with a violation of your probation. At such time, they may elect to put you on reporting probation and potentially they may re-evaluate the terms of your probation. As to the no refusal, this is usually connected to probation requesting a test to insure that you are not violating any alcohol/drug use during your probation. If they request a test and you refuse, that may result in a probation violation. You need to examine the terms of your probation carefully. It should be clearly spelled out what is/is not a no refusal. I wish you the best of luck.
Q. My wife went behind me and filed taxes separately and claimed kids. I am primary wage earner is she allowed to do this.
A: You should contact an attorney for a consultation as soon as possible. When it comes to the IRS it is always best to seek legal advice. There are many factors that need to be considered and speaking/meeting with an attorney will help you clear up your legal rights.
Q. My wife and I are going through with a dissolution. If we make an agreement on child support can/will the judge be ok...
A: The bottom line is that it all depends on the Judge. Depending on your local Court rules, in order to deviate child support from the actual worksheet calculation, the parties or one of your attorneys will have include specific language to justify the deviation. There are many factors that go into this. I recommend that you consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction to review this matter.and make sure that your agreement is in compliance with local Court rules. Good luck to you.
Q. is it true you can call the bar association and get a lawyer to help for free
A: If you are considered indigent by the Public Defender's office in the county where the alleged incident took place, they will assign you a Public Defender for your case. Otherwise, I would advise you contact the local county where the incident took place to inquire about their lawyer referral service. Some attorneys to take pro bono work, but you would be best served speaking with the Public Defender's office or your lawyer referral service. Good luck to you.
Q. I and my wife got married in Ghana 12 yrs ago. We are in the states and want to file for divorce. Can it be done here?
A: Yes, you can file for divorce in Ohio as long as you meet the residency requirements of being domiciled in Ohio for the minimum period of time. Certified copies of the marriage license and other documents may be requested by the Court depending on the Court's local rules. Good luck to you!
Q. Was going 77 in a 50. I'm 17 years old and this is my first offense. Will I lose my license or what will happen?
A: If you accumulate 12 points or more in a period of 2 years, your driving privileges will generally be suspended for 6 months. After that period, you'll need to take a remedial driving course. After you complete the course and satisfy the requirements of your OH driver's license suspension, you'll have to take the driving test again. Check Your OH Driver's License Status Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver's license, you can order an Ohio driving record report. This record show if your driver's license is currently valid. If your driver's license is revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what's on record with the Ohio BMV. This report will also show points held against your driver's license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had. Ohio Traffic School for Point Credit You may be eligible to take a remedial driving course approved by the Department of Public Safety, where you will receive a point credit. (See a list of approved schools that offer this course.) OH Point Effects on Your Insurance Rates Accumulating points on your driver's license can possibly result in higher insurance premiums. Check with your agent or insurance company for details about chances you may have to earn a safe driver discount and lower your car insurance rates. From the Ohio State Bar Association site: Q: How long do the points stay on my record? A: Any points assessed will stay on your record for a period of two years. If you accumulate a total of 12 points in a two-year period beginning on the date of the first conviction, your driver’s license will be suspended for a period of six months. You do have a right to appeal this suspension, but you will need to file the appeal before the suspension date listed on the letter of suspension that you got from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Q: When I went to court for a speeding ticket once, the judge told me that I could take a course and have two points taken off my record, but that I could only do that once in my life. Is that true under current law? A: Under current law, you can enroll in a remedial driving instruction course and have two points removed from your driving record, and you may take the course as many as five times in your life (although not more than once in any three-year period). Q: When can I take the remedial driving course to get two points off my record? A: You may enroll in the course as soon as you get two points, and you must enroll before you have accumulated 12 points. If you wait until you get 12 points, you will be ineligible to take the remedial course. Q: Is there somewhere that I can check for myself what Ohio law says about points? A: Yes. The Ohio Revised Code, Section 4510.036, has the information regarding how points are assessed.
Q. I need advice on adoption
A: It sounds like you have done everything right to this point. In order to adopt, you need to have legal custody for at least a year in most counties. I strongly recommend that you contact an attorney who practices juvenile/probate law in your county. The next steps will require that you file in Probate Court for the adoption. Be sure to have all of the orders, case managers, etc. from your Juvenile case readily available. You will need a certified birth certificate if you do not already have one. Depending on the parents' status, there are multiple avenues that you will have to satisfy with the Court. Best of luck to you!!!
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
233 E. Main Street, Suite 3
Batavia, OH 45103
Telephone: (513) 732-5900
Cell: (513) 520-4740
Fax: (513) 732-5904