Free Consultation: (631) 864-7589Tap to Call This Lawyer
Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

  • Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Divorce ...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Howard E. Knispel has been practicing law since 1989, having graduated from Eisenhower College of World Studies of the Rochester Institute of Technology with a degree in International Politics in 1981 and New York Law School in 1988 with a Doctor of Jurisprudence.

Howard concentrates his practice to Divorce, Family Law, Bankruptcy, Criminal, Traffic and DWI, Real Estate and Wills. Howard has conducted numerous trials, both jury and non-jury. Howard has negotiated and settled hundreds of divorce, custody and support matters.

Howard has helped many people get out from crippling debt to get a fresh start. He has assisted many people experiencing criminal matters help get the possible outcome, including dismissals. As a former traffic prosecutor and Administrative Law Judge, has helped many cut through the tangle that is the traffic court and helped reduce points and save licenses. He has represented both purchasers and sellers of residential properties throughout the New York Metropolitan area.

If there is any legal issue you need assistance with, call Howard E. Knispel, who has the knowledge and experience to assist you.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
County Attorney/Special Prosecutor
Suffolk County Traffic asnd Parking Agency
Administrative Law Judge
New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission
New York Law School
J.D. (1988)
Placeholder image for education.
Eisenhower College of Rochester Institute of Technology
B.A. (1981) | International Politics
Honors: Senior Class President. Editor:
Placeholder image for education.
Peer Reviewed
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyers Service
Person of the Year
Smithtown Democratic Committee
Professional Associations
Smithtown Sunrise Rotary
- Current
Activities: Hospitality
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Matrimonial Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 2279156
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Defendant: It’s an open-and-shut case
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Debt Settlement , How to Prevent a Financial Meltdown , Huntington, NY
Housing Help, Inc.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
144 Questions Answered

Q. What happens if custodial parent refuses to show their finances to the court for child support ?
A: There is an old expression, "the law is an ass". In this case it is very applicable. The law requires both parties to produce their financial affidavit, but there is no penalty to the custodial parent for not doing so. Since basic child support is, in reality, based on the non-custodial parent's income, that is all that is needed for the court to make that determination. If child care and other "additional child support" is requested, then the custodial parent would have to produce their finances to determine pro-rata shares.
Q. I will like to get divorce. I'm thinking to get one lawyer for both of us. Is this a good idea?
A: As long as both parties are aware of their obligations and rsponsibilities under the law, it is acceptable, but a good idea? Likely not. There are many issues that can be complicated from custody and visitation, to support, to distribution of assets, to retirement accounts, etc. And it is unethical for a lawyer to give advice to both parties. While he or she can explain the law, they can not tell both parties what is in their best interest. If the issues are very simple it can be easily accomplished by one lawyer. I have often prepared uncontested divorces where all of the issues are agreed upon and where one party does not want to obtain their own lawyer, but I always explain that they have tyhat right to do so and I put a clause in the agreement that specificall explains their waiver of that right.
Q. My home is in both my name and my late husband's. He died 10 years ago with no will. All we had was the house.
A: You may not need to. If you are going to sell, Usually the title company will accept a deed granting to the buyer from the surviving spouse with a death certificate. If you do want to change the deed now, you would need to file a new deed along with the death certificate and transfer documents, with the county clerk.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Howard E. Knispel, P.C.
354 Veterans Highway
Commack, NY 11725
Telephone: (631) 864-7589