Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
- Intellectual Property
- Business Law
Additional Practice Area
- Trade Secrets
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Federal Circuit
- English: Spoken, Written
- Systems Engineer
- Design, Integration and Certification of Commercial Jet Liners.
- Seattle University
- J.D. (2014) | Intellectual Property
- Activities: IP Society - Secretary
- Seattle University
- MBA (2010) | Entreprenuership & Business Finance
- University of Washington
- B.S. (2007) | Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Client's Choice
- The number of client reviews earned me the Client's Choice Award. Earning this award was made apparent by an email notification I received from Avvo, and allowed me to display a badge on my profile representing my earned award. You are awarded the Clients' Choice badge if you receive five or more 4+ star reviews in a calendar year. It links to your Avvo profile.
- King County Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association  # 48159
Articles & Publications
- The Importance Patents Play in Aerospace
- Industry Today
- Applying for a #Patent in the EU
- EU Reporter
- The Complexities with Patenting Cryptocurrency
- Altcoin Today
- The Complications Around Patenting Biotechnology
- Labiotech UG
- Legal Workshop for Small Businesses , Legal Workshop for Small Businesses, Townsquared , Seattle, WA
- IP experts cover what you should know about: - Legal contracts - Opening additional locations - Management issues - Employee disputes - Agency audits and investigations - Intellectual Property issues – copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets
- Registered Patent Attorney; #72087
- Professional Engineer
- License; #48930
Websites & Blogs
- Bold Patents Website
- Book Free Consultation
- Bold Patents Law Firm
- The Complete Guide to Patent Drawings
22 September 2020
- How to do a Patent Search in 6 Steps (The Definite Guide)
8 September 2020
- Patent Agents vs Patent Attorneys: What’s the Difference?
31 August 2020
4 Questions Answered
- Q. Based on the "All Elements Rule" How do I draft an independent claim to prevent designing around my patent?
- A: There are a lot of things you may not be considering here. Have you done a prior art search? Is your specification enabling? Claim drafting is a true art - akin to a Dentist filling a cavity, a Doctor casting a broken bone, a CPA filling out a detailed depreciation schedule. Hire a patent attorney! :)
- Q. Is it possible to get a patent on an anti-gravity propulsion device without the United States government taking it away?
- A: Yes it is possible! The government (I believe it is the DoD) would screen the application (as they do all applications) for any technology that could threaten security/safety of the public. Given your brief description, it doesn't seem to fall into that category. That said, even if there were a restriction on filing, it by no means would prevent you from getting a patent on it...and likely profiting from its sale/license to the government! Cheers! J.D. Houvener Founder, Bold IP www.boldip.com Free 30-Min Consultation: www.calendly.com/bold-ip
- Q. Can I file a US Patent for a product being sold in a foreign country?
- A: Yes, you may! As long as you are the inventor and the product has only been sold to the public for less than one year. The public sale will likely preclude you from having protection in some countries outside the US, as many European countries are what's called "absolute novelty" countries, where they require that the invention never have been disclosed to the public. There will be many things to consider as you move down the path of filing. I heartily recommend you seek the counsel of a Registered Patent Attorney.
Contact & Map