Free Consultation: (801) 546-3874Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jason F. Barnes

Jason F. Barnes

The Law Offices of Jason F. Barnes, P.C.
  • Family Law, Divorce, Arbitration & Mediation...
  • Utah
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The Law Offices of Jason F. Barnes, P.C. (also d.b.a. The Adoption Law Firm) is located in Utah, and provide a wide range of legal services. When you start the process, you will have many questions, some of which should only be answered by an attorney. The Law Offices of Jason F. Barnes, P.C. provides a comfortable yet professional atmosphere, meeting personally with each client, promptly addressing questions and concerns, and striving to make the process as smooth and as stress-free as possible. ============================================================ Get help quickly and get the job done right the first time! Highly focused and experienced in the areas of: 1. Family law and divorce- all aspects of, including: a. Divorce, Separate, Annulment b. Guardianship c. Paternity, custody, child support, visitation d. Alimony e. Property division f. Retirement division (QDROs, government, military and private retirements) g. Modifications to decrees and orders of the court 2. Adoptions, all aspects of (d.b.a. "The Adoption Law Firm"; Jason F. Barnes was president of the Utah Adoption Council in 2009-2010). 3. Mediation services in family law and other areas (Jason F. Barnes is a Court Rostered Mediator and also a Court Rostered Domestic Mediator). 4. Business- formation, succession planning and transactions. HOURS: - Monday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Tuesday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Saturday closed - Sunday closed

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • Adoption
  • Guardianships
  • Mediation Services
  • Free Consultation
    Depending upon the type of case. Call for details.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Call for details. Check, Invoice, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
ADR Court Rostered Mediator
Utah State Court
Jason F. Barnes is qualified by the Utah State Courts to perform mediation and is specifically qualified on the ADR Court Roster to provide Divorce Mediation.
Utah Adoption Council, A Non-Profit Organization
President Elect 2008-2009 and Adviser to President 2010-2011
President and Director
Legal Research Services, A Non-Profit Organization
Legal Research Assistant
University of Wyoming, College of Law
Research assistant to Law Professor Arthur R. Gaudio.
University of Wyoming College of Law
J.D. / Family law, Business, Taxation, and Bankruptcy (2002)
University of Utah
B.S. / Business, Finance with an emphasis in investing (1997)
Professional Associations
Utah State Bar # 09425
Utah Council on Conflict Resolution
Davis County Bar Association
Weber County Bar Assocaition
Family Law Section of the Utah State Bar
Utah Adoption Council
Articles & Publications
Chapter 13 Bankruptcy: Determining the Appropriate Fair Market Value
Utah State Bar Association
Speaking Engagements
The Essentials of Adoption Law; Adoption Fees/Budgets; Following Ethical Guidelines in Adoption Law, Adoption Law: Start to Finish, Salt Lake City, Utah
National Business Institute
The Essentials of Adoption Law; Adoption Fees/Budgets; Following Ethical Guidelines in Adoption Law, Adoption Law, Salt Lake City, Utah
National Business Institute
The Essentials of Adoption Law; Following Ethical Guidelines in Adoption Law, Adoption Law: Start to Finish, Salt Lake City, Utah
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered

Q. What is the process for a step parent to adopt the child of his/her spouse?
A: To answer your first question, you can start the adoption process now. However, please understand that 78B-6-136.5 states: (2)(a) If the prospective adoptive parent is the spouse of the pre-existing parent, a final decree of adoption may not be entered until the child has lived in the home of that prospective adoptive parent for one year, unless, based on a finding of good cause, the court orders that the final decree of adoption may be entered at an earlier time. (b) The court may, based on a finding of good cause, order that the final decree of adoption be entered at an earlier time than described in Subsection (1). The answer to your second question is much more complex, and will require a legal analysis. Sorry. We offer free initial consultations, most often, for adoption cases. Please call us at 801-546-3874, and we will be able to be of further assistance to you.
Q. My wife (and her ex-husband) adopted 2 children from Vietnam in 1999. Do they need to be "re-adopted" into the U.S.?
A: There are a lot of questions be asked, so if you want to call our office, we can direct you.
Q. adoption
A: Your question, although seemingly simple, is very complicated and requires a lot more facts and analysis. If you would like, I would be happy to speak with you by phone if you would like to call my assistant and schedule up a phone consultation, or you can come and meet with me. The consult would be free. Jason F. Barnes 801-546-3874
Q. How do I adopt my former step-son (Kevin), who is now an adult?
A: Actually, the problem you have here in Utah, at the present moment (the buzz on the streets right now is that this might be changed next year) is that where you and his mother are divorced, when you adopt Kevin it will terminate his mother legal relationship with him. Here is the statute (see #1 and 3). 78B-6-138. Pre-existing parent's rights and duties dissolved. (1) A pre-existing parent of an adopted child is released from all parental duties toward and all responsibilities for the adopted child, including residual rights, and has no further rights with regard to that child at the earlier of: (a) the time the pre-existing parent's parental rights are terminated; or (b) except as provided in Subsection (2), and subject to Subsection (3), the time the final decree of adoption is entered. (2) The rights and duties of a pre-existing parent described in Subsection (1) who, at the time the child is adopted, is lawfully married to the person adopting the child are not released or terminated under Subsection (1)(b). (3) The rights and duties of a pre-existing parent described in Subsection (1) who, at the time the child is adopted, is not lawfully married to the person adopting the child are terminated as provided in Subsection (1)(b).
Q. Will it be easy to have my husband adopt my kids?
A: You can represent yourself in any court matter, the question is, do you know what you are doing? Adoption law is very complex, and this will be especially true for the facts you have provided. We offer free consultations and I suggest that you contact our office to at least get the details as they relate to your specific facts. Jason F. Barnes, The Adoption Law Firm.
Q. My husband and I have been asked by his first cousin to adopt her baby that is due in April. She lives in another state.
A: I realize that this has already happened, but for future viewers, you most likely have to comply with the ICPC laws and obtain ICPC approval from both states' compact administrators. Private direct placement adoptions are very complex and require an attorney who knows what he/she is doing in order to ensure that there are no problems now or in the future.
Q. I have full custody of our four children, and my x husband has parent time. i would like to relocate out of state
A: The question is very fact dependent. I suggest that you call my office 801-546-3874 so we can discuss this matter in detail. Because of the nature of the question, any attorney you talk with about this will have to make sure that they do not have a conflict of interest.
Q. Do I have to have a lawyer to find my birthparents if it's a closed adoption?
A: The short answer to your question is no, you can represent yourself in any legal matter. However, the question you should have asked is, can an attorney help me find my birthparents if it was a closed adoption? The answer is, probably not.
Q. My divorce was final in September 2012. My ex-husband is now breaking our verbal agreement. What can I do?
A: It depends entirely upon the facts and circumstances. You are welcome to call my office to discuss the matter in further detail assuming we do not have any conflicts with the parties.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
47 North Main Street, Ste. 2
Kaysville, UT 84037
Telephone: (801) 546-3874