Free Consultation: (207) 210-6559Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joe Lewis

Joe Lewis

Port City Legal, LLC
  • Appeals & Appellate, Divorce, Estate Planning ...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I graduated with honors from The University of Maine School of Law. My practice focuses primarily on three areas: Family Law, Estate Planning, and Appeals. I set up Port City Legal with the idea that a small law firm effectively serving the regular legal needs of regular people with intelligence ~and~ compassion could do very nicely here in Portland, ME. Six years later, the idea has proved true. Along the way, I have enjoyed many successes both in and out of the courtroom. My client reviews have been excellent. I've won five of the seven appeals I've handled before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. Most importantly, I've repaid the faith my clients have placed in me with solid results. I hope you'll consider contacting me when you need help with a family matter or estate planning.

Practice Areas
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
    In-person or on the phone, up to 30 minutes or so.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept Visa, MC, and Amex
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Current billing rate is $300 per hour, and a retainer is required.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Port City Legal, LLC
- Current
University of Maine - School of Law
Honors: Cum Laude
Activities: Class Graduation Speaker
Placeholder image for education.
Fordham University
B.A. | History, Political Science
Fordham University Logo
Professional Associations
Maine State Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Board of Directors, New Lawyers Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered
Q. If my daughter's father is ordered to pay weekly and doesn't, do I have to send her on visits? What are my rights?
A: Hi there.

Individual provisions of a court order stand alone. Just because he is not paying child support does not mean that you are somehow released from following another part of the court order. The more appropriate response to him not paying child support is to take him back to court on a motion to enforce or a motion for contempt. The courts have very little interest in letting people skip their child support obligations.

Finally, another thing you might consider is checking with DHHS Department of Support Enforcement. They can often help enforce a child support order.

Best of luck to you.
Q. If I request for a lawyer in family court in Maine, can a judge tell me " You're not getting one"?
A: Hi there.

If it is truly a family court case (district court, FM docket number, title 19-A) then the judge is telling you a truth, however rudely he or she said it. There is no provision under Maine law for a party to get a free or court-appointed lawyer.

If you are needing help with your family law case and cannot afford an attorney, you should try contacting the Volunteer Lawyers Project, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, or the Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic. Each of these organizations provide such services, but bear in mind that each is overwhelmed with demand and might not easily be able to add you to their client list.

Best of luck to you.

- Joe
Q. I am located in Maine my ex is willing to sign rights over to my son to my fiancé Do we have to be married first?
A: Congratulations on your impending life events!

Maine has no requirement for adoptive parents to be married.

The situation you describe is a classic set-up for what we call a "consented-to adoption." Your fiance will need to file an adoption petition at the county probate court. Along the way, your ex will have the opportunity to indicate that he or she consents to the adoption. (Your ex will have to participate at the short final hearing. This will be by zoom or google meet or in person depending on the courthouse and the timing.)

If you get a lawyer's help with all of this, you can expect to pay $1500 - $2000.

Best of luck!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Port City Legal
10 Moulton Street
4th Floor
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone: (207) 210-6559