Free Consultation: (219) 228-8899Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Mario Acosta Jr.

John Mario Acosta Jr.

Your Dedicated Attorney
  • Divorce, Family Law, Immigration Law
  • Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

John M. Acosta Jr. was born and raised in Southern California. In July 1996, he enlisted in the United States Army. He served as a Military Police Officer for almost two years, with his remaining three years as a Military Police K-9 Officer, at various military installations. In February 2001, he was honorably discharged. In December 2001, he pursued a career in law enforcement. He spent almost twelve years with various Police and Sheriff’s Offices throughout the State of Georgia. During that time, he worked as a patrol officer and was eventually promoted to the rank of Sergeant. As a U.S. Army Military Police Veteran and Law Enforcement Officer in State of Georgia, he has over 15 years of combined law enforcement experience. During those years he performed numerous DUI, misdemeanor, and felony investigations. Additionally, he works as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the State of Indiana and has conducted numerous state court trials. Although, he does not consider himself an expert, he does consider himself highly qualified to interpret and evaluate law enforcement actions.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
    First half hour.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Deputy Prosecutor
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
- Current
Acosta Law Office
- Current
Law Clerk
Bockman & Associates, LLC
Law Clerk/Externship
Northern District of Indiana Federal Community Defender's Office
Law Clerk/Externship
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
Law Clerk/Externship
Lake County Public Defender's Office (Conflicts Division)
Judicial Clerk
William Alexa - Superior Court #2
Law Clerk/Externship
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
Law Clerk/Internship
Lake County Prosecutor's Office
Valparaiso University School of Law
J.D. / Law (2015)
Troy University - Troy campus
M.S. / Criminal Justice (2012)
Troy University - Troy campus
B.S. / Criminal Justice (2010)
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar # 33749-45
Indiana State Bar Association
- Current
Porter County Bar Association
- Current
Calumet Inns of Court
- Current
Lake County Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
Evaluating and Understanding Police Use of Force
Hammond Cops Used Justified Force
Post-Tribune, A Chicago Sun-Times Publication
Captured for Capturing
Valpo Law Blog
Valpo Law Blog
Liberally Conservitive
Valpo Law Blog
Interest of Justice
Valpo Law Blog
The Warrant Requirement
Valpo Law Blog
Valpo Law Blog
On Shaky Ground When Searching for that Smell
Valpo Law Blog
Improper Conduct in an Untimely Manner
Valpo Law Blog
Spontaneous Utterances Have Family Ties
Valpo Law Blog
Speaking Engagements
Law Practice Management, Valparaiso University Law School, Valparaiso, Indiana
Bar Prep Strategies, Valparaiso University Law School, Valparaiso, Indiana
Law Enforcement Officer
Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Counsel
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
18 Questions Answered

Q. Ex girlfriend won't let me see my son for almost 2 years, will I have to pay back support when I take her to court?
A: Based on what you are asking has paternity been established by court order or by a paternity affidavit from the hospital? Furthermore, visitation is not tied to child support. This means that you can't be kept from seeing your child if you are in the arrears, but yes back child support can be asked for and it would be up to the court to decide if you should pay for those 2 years or not.
Q. My ex decided to move almost 2 hours away from where his children live. Who is responsible for transportation?
A: Based on what you are saying, did your ex comply with the statue and give the court and you notice of intent to relocate? This would have to be done 90 days prior to the intent to relocate, then giving you 60 days to respond. Secondly, this is something that can be agreed upon, but if not then the court would have to decide it.
Q. Can dreamers travel within the US without fear of being deported?
A: Currently, yes, but if you don't have a license don't drive. Furthermore, don't draw attention to yourself and don't leave the country.
Q. I recently graduated law school, haven't taken bar yet; can I represent someone during questioning after arrest?
A: Do you want to lose your license before you get it
Q. If my domestic charges are all dropped to a misdemeanor battery would the no contact order put in place be dropped to
A: The NCO can be terminated at any point during these proceedings. If the petitioning party requests it be terminated, by plea agreement, but the judge has to sign off on it and must have a good record as to why it is being done.
Q. If checking account is in adult childs name is it still marital property? Same with vehicles.
A: Based on what you are saying it would depend on how long they have been in the adult child's name and if it was just done to get the property out of the marital state. So if it a legitimate account in his or her name and it was not done in order to avoid the divorce or to take it out then probably not, but if not then it may be considered in the settlement.
Q. If I cancel child support does that cancel the visitation agreement for the case
A: Based on what you are saying who is paying the support? A court order for visitation can't be cancelled without a court ordering it. If he does not give her back after visitation then you need to contact law enforcement.
Q. My x won custody in Florida I live in Indiana and he recently dropped the kids off and gave me custody do I file here
A: Based on what you are saying I would say you should contact the Florida court and advise them of the situation, but since you and the children reside in Indiana you should be able to file an action here.
Q. I don't have custody of my children. Can I still access their school records?
A: This answer would depend on the whether you received joint custody or not. Not having primary custody of them does not matter, so the short answer is yes.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
105 E Lincolnway #217
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Telephone: (219) 228-8899
Fax: (219) 228-8899