Free Consultation: (816) 281-5404Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kristi Burmeister

Kristi Burmeister

Peak Litigation LLP - Founding Member
  • Business Law, Products Liability, Insurance Defense
  • Kansas, Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I helped form PEAK for the same reason I became an attorney, I like solving problems and I’m not afraid to take risks or think outside the proverbial “box.” I am very fortunate to be surrounded by other lawyers at PEAK who feel the same. If you are reading this, I hope it means we will be working together.

I graduated from UMKC law school with highest honors and was fortunate to be hired by Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP in 2007, where I was promoted to Partner seven years later. As an attorney at Shook, I spent most of my time working as national counsel for a Fortune 100 company dedicated to providing life-saving products and services. It was a great job and a great client. I worked on a flat-fee model, litigating all over the country. I immersed myself with the client’s business. I learned from some of the country’s best attorneys and even found myself sitting at trial counsel table at an early stage of my career (a rarity for a young, “BigLaw” attorney). The client ultimately rewarded me for my hard work by allowing me to first-chair a jury trial notwithstanding my (relative) lack of “gray hair.” I am proud of my trial experience. And I love everything associated with a jury trial.

In the eleven years I have practiced law, I have worked on nearly every type of civil lawsuit. I have handled straight-forward “slip-and-fall” cases as well as multi-million-dollar contract disputes. I have resolved high-stakes, business-to-business litigation. No matter the case or the issues, clients are best served by a lawyer who thinks strategically and practically. A “win” is not truly a win if the client’s legal fees are unreasonable or if there is a lack of alignment between the client and attorney. I am always mindful of the value attorneys need to bring to any dispute.

I formed PEAK because I would like to revolutionize the practice of law. If you are looking for legal advice or have a problem you would like to solve, I would love the opportu

Practice Areas
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Products Liability
Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
Insurance Defense
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Shook, Hardy & Bacon LLP
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Best of the Bar
Kansas City Business Journal
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar  # 60078
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Kansas City Assocition of Women Lawyers
Board Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Kansas City Liquor Control Board of Review
Board Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy Graduate, at Stanford University
International Association of Defense Counsel
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered
Q. What can the family do to protect a family member who is mentally incapacitated (due to stroke) living with another
A: Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. You could petition the Court for a guardian or a conservator to step in and make sure your family member is being cared for properly. If your family member is in immediate danger of some sorts, obviously call the police. Getting a guardian or conservator will take a bit of time, but the court will empower the guardian/conservator to do what is necessary to make sure your family member is taken care of.
Q. I am 28 and would like to make sure that my mother has no legal claim over an inheritance in the event of my death.
A: If you die without a Will, the laws of intestancy will control and your mother will be one of your heirs. You should prepare a Will leaving your assets to whoever you choose.
Q. My parents have a revocable trust with a former friend being having the power of attorney.
A: Your parents will need to revoke their prior power of attorney and prepare a new one. As for the will, depending on how it is drafted, it may or may not need to be revised. For example, the will may say that your deceased brother's inheritance will pass to his heirs (most likely his children). If that is what your parents want, then the will should be fine. Of course I haven't seen the will, so this is just a hypothetical. Many attorneys will sit down with your parents to review the old will and discuss these issues for an hourly fee. Best of luck to you.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
4900 Main Street
4900 Main Street
Suite 160
Kansas City, MO 64112
Telephone: (816) 281-5404