Free Consultation: (717) 232-4701Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Cherewka

Michael Cherewka

Law Office of Michael Cherewka
  • Business Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With my background in accounting as well as law, I can share my unique background and experience when working with individuals, families and small and mid-size businesses in the areas of estate planning, taxation, corporations and business planning, business acquisitions and sales, succession planning, business exit strategies and real estate.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Real Estate Law
  • Tax Law
  • Probate
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Michael Cherewka
- Current
Owner of law firm dedicated to Estate Planning, Trusts and Estates Administration, Business Planning for small to mid-tier businesses including choice of entity, acquisitions and sales, business exit strategies and succession planning
Dickinson School of Law
Honors: cum laude Woolsack Society
Bucknell University
B.S. / Accounting
Honors: cum laude Delta Mu Delta Omicron Delta Kappa College Register
Distinguished Service Award
American Heart Association
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors
- Current
Elder Care Matters Alliance
- Current
Wealth Counsel
- Current
Articles & Publications
Strictly Business
Quantum Press
Speaking Engagements
How To Close An Estate, Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Handling Real Estate Transactions From Start to Finish, Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
National Business Institute
VA Accredited Attorney
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

A: There are too many unanswered questions at this point. You need to visit with an attorney familiar with probate process as soon as possible. If , as you describe, the brother hand wrote the Will, then it probably does not qualify as a valid Will in PA. You then have to look at the PA Intestacy Law to determine your husband's heirs. If he has no children, it sounds like a small estate and you would be the primary, and possibly the only heir.
Q. Myself and siblings are admins on my mothers estate.
A: There is not enough information to provide you with an Answer. You should first review the language of the Will with an attorney to determine beneficiaries. If no Will, then it is not likely that your children are heirs and sister cannot force that type of distribution. You have several options, once of which may be to file a Petition to remove your sister as an co-Administrator if she continues to obstruct the distributions.
Q. What are the steps I have to take to take over control of a business from a relative who's not an immediate member of my
A: There are
Q. FIL passed-no will.He let gf live rent-free in house.She also has a car in his name.Can we evict&sell car?he left debt.
A: You will need to engage, or at least meet with , an attorney familiar with PA estate administration. You may want to evaluate the amount of the assets left and the amount of debt before you get involved in an administration. PA has a statute that addresses administrative expenses and payment of creditors for insolvent estates. You would have no personal liability, but this could be very time consuming.
Q. How long does it take to close an estate in Pa ?
A: Generally in Pennsylvania it takes 9 months to 1 year to settle a "simple" estate. Inheritance tax is due at 9 months. If there are known debts, or the possibility of unknown debts, we will often wait until 1 year after the Legal Notices have been published to make sure that all debts are satisfied or otherwise taken care of. It is not unusual for Estates to remain open longer if there is real estate, small businesses, unusual assets (some limited partnerships ) or a lawsuit involved. It is not clear from your question who the Executor is, but that individual should be able at this stage to tell you why the Estate is still open and how much longer they expect the administration to last.
Q. Our mother just passed away and left her paid off home to divide between their 4 kids,it just sold
A: If your mother had established domicile in Florida prior to her death and assuming this is not a Federal taxable Estate, then there should be no inheritance or estate taxes due . Usually when property is included in Estate it will get a step up in basis of the property equal to the fair market value on the date death. If the property is sold at or below that value, then there would be no gain so no income tax due on the sale. If property is sold at a higher value there would be income tax due on the gain since the date of death. The executor should meet with an attorney or CPA to determine if better to recognize any gain on an income tax return for the estate or to distribute the gain to the beneficiaries. Since in Florida may be better to put any gain on the Estate's return.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
624 North Front Street
Wormleysburg, PA 17043
Telephone: (717) 232-4701
Telephone: (717) 232-4701