Free Consultation: (608) 783-5545Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nick Passe

Nick Passe

Passe Law Office, LLC
  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Consumer Law...
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

President of the La Crosse County Bar Association. Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent-rated attorney. 9+ rated attorney. I have practiced before trial courts around Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin Supreme Court (including oral arguments in 2015.)

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Employment Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Real Estate Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil
  • Small Claims
  • Free Consultation
    I offer free consultations for personal injury matters and matters in which awards of actual reasonable attorneys fees are available.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
Passe Law Office, LLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd.
Passe Law Office
University of Oregon School of Law
J.D. / Law (2006)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
B.S. / Political Science
AV Preeminent-rated
Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1061509
Websites & Blogs
Passe Law Office, LLC
Legal Answers
35 Questions Answered

Q. I want to look up and see if someone filed for Bankrupcy in Wisconsin and what dates if they have filed
A: You would need to create and account with and log onto the Federal Bankruptcy Court (for the Eastern or Western District of Wisconsin) web page and search the PACER database records. There will be a modest expense for your searches. Alternatively you can hire an attorney's office with some experience with the system to do the search for you. I would expect to pay ~$50 for a simple search like what you describe.
Q. My wife passed away and our house mortgage was in her name and I also signed but now bank of america is foreclosing and
A: I highly doubt any judge would dismiss the case on the technicality you describe. Besides, one of the documents you probably signed when you took out the mortgage will obligate you to assist with correcting small scriveners' errors like the one you describe. Did the bank take a deficiency judgment against you or did they opt for the shorter redemption period? Either way the bank is going to get the property but one way you won't end up owing them money.
Q. Can the police arrest you if you fail a drug test?
A: If abstinence is a part of supervision (i.e. bond, probation, parole, extended supervision, or house arrest), then having consumed drugs will be seen as a violation of the conditions and you will usually be arrested. If you don't have any form of supervision, testing positive for drugs alone will not usually be sufficient to arrest you.
Q. I fell through a dock at a friends cottage in nothern Wisc, suffered fractured ribs, what should I expect from his insur
A: You may have claims you could make against your friend, his insurer, the dock instalation company, its insurer, and possibly the manufacturer of the dock or its insurer. I would be happy to talk to you about the case at my office or by phone.
Q. When you have probation in more than one case at the same time, do they run at the same time?
A: Generally the answer is yes, but the judge has it in his power to order the probation run consecutive to any other sentence, I believe. If the judge did not explicitly make it consecutive, it is concurrent.
Q. How can someone sue for personal injuries when they did it pretty much themself and not on my property?
A: Your question leaves out a lot. Anyone can sue for anything pretty much. It is up to you to defend the allegations. Broadly speaking, you will want to show that you have no liability for any injuries the person sustained and also be ready to argue about the fair measure of damages if the plaintiff does establish liability. Attorneys are trained in evaluating cases and doing research to determine if there are any defenses and also how to bring in and keep out evidence. You should probably at least speak to an attorney about your case if you are not 100% sure if your position is legally and factually correct.
Q. What happens when the courts file a revokation of a diversion agreement and you dont have a lawyer?
A: Whether you have a lawyer or not, you will have a revocation hearing and if the diversion is revoked, you will be convicted of the offense and proceed to sentencing. If the diversion is allowed to continue, you will not proceed to sentencing. My advice is to get an attorney as soon as you can.
Q. Friend had felony at age 18 now 47. he cannot purchase a gun legally,(WI) can own as many as he wants, sound fishy?
A: I suspect your friend is misinterpreting the law. He should consult with an attorney about trying to eliminate his lifetime prohibition if he wants to legally buy or possess a firearm or ammunition. He is playing with fire if he possesses firearms as a felon. If he thinks the prohibition doesn't apply retroactively as an "ex post facto" law, he is wrong.
Q. I'm hoping to be removed from Wisconsins sex offender registry under wisconsin state statue 301.45 (1m) I dont know how
A: This is a fairly involved process and you will definitely want an attorney to be assisting you if you want any meaningful chance of success. Essentially, you will need to convince the court and the prosecutor to stick their necks out for you. I was successful the one time I tried this but those were fairly special circumstances. I would be happy to talk with you about your case if you would like.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
223 3rd St. N.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Telephone: (608) 783-5545
Fax: (608) 789-5545