Free Consultation: (407) 540-1551Tap to Call This Lawyer
Richard Hornsby

Richard Hornsby

Board Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Richard Hornsby is a third generation Central Floridian and a second generation criminal defense lawyer. In addition to his law degree from the University of Florida, he also holds a master’s degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Central Florida and a master's degree in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, with a concentration in Forensic Science, from the University of Florida. He is Board Certified in Criminal Trial Law by the Florida Bar and Board Certified in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He serves as the Legal Analyst for the Central Florida NBC affiliate, WESH 2 News, and is frequently called upon to provide legal commentary for the Orlando Sentinel. In 2007 he was voted Best of the Bar in Criminal Defense by the Orlando Business Journal and has been recognized as a Rising Star in criminal defense by Super Lawyers magazine in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Juvenile Law
  • White Collar Crime
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Board Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer
Richard E. Hornsby, P.A.
- Current
University of Florida
M.S. (2014) | Forensic Science
University of Central Florida
M.S. | Criminal Justice
University of Florida
Juris Doctor (2000) | Law
University of Florida
B.A. | Political Science, Religion
Professional Associations
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
Florida State Bar # 474134
- Current
Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
American Bar Association
- Current
Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Articles & Publications
Basics in Criminal Pleadings
Ninth Judicial Circuit Public Defender College
In Defense of Unlicensed Drivers
The Defender Magazine
Speaking Engagements
Taking it to Trial: Effectively Trying a Case to Jury Verdict and Winning, Anatomy of a Criminal Case, Orlando, Florida
Orange County Bar Association
Panel speaker.
Board Certification in Criminal Trial Law
The Florida Bar
Board Certified as a Criminal Trial Advocate
National Board of Trial Advocacy
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. What would happen if I violate a no contact order from judge for victim and co-defendent?
A: Your current <a href="">bond conditions</a> could be revoked.
Q. Can I join the military?
A: It would be up to the military branch you are seeking to join. Candidly, I think you would have difficulty joining.
Q. I am being charged with 3rd degree drug felony, I fired my former attorney and don't have one now.
A: You should hire an attorney.
Q. Is an attorney allowed to keep secret the location of a wanted accused felon if they know their location
A: If the wanted person is their client, the answer is yes, as it is privileged information that the attorney is prevented from disclosing. The only thing the attorney can't do is affirmatively assist the fugitive in evading arrest.
Q. I have a warrant for missing a court date in FL. FL is my primary residence and the court date was sent to home in NJ
A: The only way you can resolve this matter without appearing in Florida is to hire an attorney in Florida to try and resolve the case with a written plea.
Q. I am being charged with 3rd degree drug felony. I do not have a legal representation; I fired my former private attorney
A: You should either borrow money to hire a competent attorney or renew your request for a public defender at your next court hearing.
Q. trying to get information about reviewing a felony case
A: You should consult with a post-conviction relief or appellate attorney familiar with criminal law.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Richard E. Hornsby, P.A.
1217 East Robinson Street
Orlando, FL 32801
Telephone: (407) 540-1551
Fax: (407) 540-1553