Free Consultation: (888) 540-4343Tap to Call This Lawyer
Stuart A. Young

Stuart A. Young

Young & Brooks, P.A.
  • Bankruptcy, Personal Injury, Foreclosure Defense ...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

As the only Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy attorney in West Palm Beach, practicing bankruptcy law since 1977, I possess a high degree of expertise in the field of consumer bankruptcy law. I have been Board Certified by the American Board of Certification in Consumer Bankruptcy since 1999.

Attainment of this certification requires peer review, successful performance on a lengthy examination and completion of 60 hours of continuing legal education every five years. It is not surprising that few lawyers are able to achieve this distinction.

I have also authored a text book for lawyers on bankruptcy which is part of the Lawyer's Desk Library of Practice Series.

Many of the cases that I have handled have been reported in law books nationally and are precedent-setting.

Having twice won the Pro-Bono Award from the Palm Beach County Legal Aid Society, I have demonstrated my compassion for public service.

I would be pleased if I could offer you a free consultation at a time convenient for you.

Practice Areas
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Foreclosure Defense
    Consumer Law
    Class Action, Lemon Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We can accept credit cards for foreclosure defense but we are prohibited from accepting credit cards for bankruptcy. We can accept a credit card from friends or family for your bankruptcy matter.
  • Contingent Fees
    For injury cases only.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
The Florida Bar
ID Number: 232920
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Young & Brooks, P.A.
- Current
Karden and Young PA
I was a partner in a law firm which handled bankruptcy cases, injury cases and divorce cases.
Associate attorney
Adams Coogler Watson and Smith PA
I was an associate attorney in a law firm which handled insurance defense cases.
Associate attorney
Law Office of Bennet S. Cohn
Assistant Public Defender
Palm Beach County Public Defender's Office
I handled criminal cases for indigent criminal defendants including criminal appeals.
University of Florida Levin College of Law
J.D. (1976) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Syracuse University
B.A. (1974) | Psychology
Syracuse University Logo
AV Rating- Preeminent
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyers Service
Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence Since 2017
Bankruptcy Law Award
Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County
Bankruptcy Law Award
Palm Beach County Bar Association
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida State Bar  # 232920
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Inns of Court
Emeritus Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Practicing Bankruptcy at a Higher Level
Palm Beach County Bar Association Seminar
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Divorce, Bankruptcy Seminar
Board Certified Consumer Bankruptcy Specialist
American Board of Certification
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered
Q. Instead of Bankruptcy can I sell a Vacant lot I own and negotiate with my Creditors?
A: Debt settlement may be OK but do not forget that you will get a 1099 tax form from each creditor that you settle with. Any reduction in debt or debt forgiveness will be treated as a "taxable event" and you will have to pay income tax next year on every penny that you save. In bankruptcy, no income tax is assessed. you tell me which sounds better to you. Hire a good attorney and make your decision with knowledge not by listening to ads on tv or radio. If funds are limited then consider a Ch 13 with a small down payment.
A: Yes, assuming that the claim or injury occurred prior to your filing for bankruptcy then this must be disclosed to the Trustee. It is always best to report it to your attorney and have her or him contact your Trustee.
Q. The question is using the Federal Bankruptcy Wildcard Exemption with the unused portion of the homestead exemption
A: The enhanced personal property exemption or "wild card" was designed to be used for people who do not claim a homestead exemption because they rent or live with somebody or just don't own a home for any reason. Interestingly, you can own a mobile home and also get the enhanced exemption. This exemption allows an additional $4,000 personal property exemption (on top of the existing $1,000 exemption) for a total of $5,000 in personal property exemptions. This exemption can be used for cars, boats and all other items of personal property. Don't forget when valuing property that you would not use the price that you purchased an item for but the price that you could sell if for at a garage sale or auction which would be quite low.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Young & Brooks, P.A.
1860 Forest Hill Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
Toll-Free: (888) 540-4343
Telephone: (561) 433-4200
Cell: (561) 389-0369
Fax: (561) 433-2988
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed