Marc practices tax and general business law.
Marc’s tax practice encompasses federal, Rhode Island, and other state and local taxation. Marc uses his broad experience to help individuals and businesses in the following ways:
(1) plan for and structure domestic and international tax implications of business transactions;
(2) resolve tax disputes with the IRS and state tax authorities; and
(3) assist with tax compliance issues for tax returns and information returns.
Because of his experience working for two public accounting firms, Marc understands that tax return mistakes can become complex tax problems with the IRS, Rhode Island, and other states and can result in substantial unpaid tax, penalties, and interest. Marc also enjoys helping others understand and navigate federal and state tax laws.
Marc’s corporate practice complements his tax practice. Marc works with business entities of all sizes, high net worth individuals and their trusts, as well as private foundations and public charities. Marc can assist both for-profit and non-profit organization by drafting and counseling with respect to:
(1) business legal entity formation, including choice of entity and federal tax exemption under 501(c) for non-profit organizations;
(2) stockholder agreements, partnership agreements, LLC operating agreements, and corporate bylaws;
(3) contracts for every type of business transaction; and
(4) executive compensation plans, including equity incentive plans.
Across industries, Marc has a passion for helping structure start-up companies and new non-profits, where he assists clients with making business entity selection.
Aside from his legal work, Marc is also the co-owner, with his wife, of a small e-commerce business. This experience and his experience having “hung his own shingle” as a solo lawyer gives Marc a business perspective uncommon among lawyers. Additionally, Marc serves on several nonprofit boards.