Free Consultation: (512) 392-5188Tap to Call This Lawyer
Roy Lee Warren

Roy Lee Warren

Honest, Dependable, Experienced, Law Office of Roy L Warren, 512 392-5188
  • Criminal Law, Personal Injury, DUI & DWI...
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Roy was born and raised in Texas, graduating from Texas City High School. The same night his HS class held its graduation ceremony Roy was in North Dakota getting married at just 18 years old to his sweetheart, Laurie from Walhalla, North Dakota. They met one summer when they were just 15 years old. After his parents and family went back to Texas, Roy and Laurie stayed in contact by writing letters (occasionally speaking on the phone) until Roy was able to go to ND (after HS) to get married.
Then after their marriage, they lived and worked in ND where they went through life's school of "hard knocks". After learning some hard lessons from "life's school", such as #1. even though (much to his surprise) some work weeks consist of more than 100 hours, it is a "hard", "hard" living on minimum wage. He worked for various farmers and ranchers, (who are exempt from paying over-time), working enough to be almost up to the level of âflat brokeâ! But he grew up and learned to be a man and work like a man. He also learned to be a trucker, driving 18-wheelers, (aka semi-trucks). Earning money as a trucker allowed him to earn enough money to help his wife through college to become a license vocational nurse, LVN.
One day, returning from a "long haul trip" to Colorado, Roy discovered his spouse, Laurie, had sold everything they had in the world. She told him it was his turn to attend college! Although he had much trepidation, (at the time they had two children and it had been 10 years since he had been in HS) he enrolled at University of North Dakota.
While attending UND he earned accolades and academic scholarships and graduated with honors in just 3 years. He earned one of the first degrees for "Bachelors of Accountancy", ever issued by the University of North Dakota. He then took and passed the certifying exam to become a CPA. By this time Roy and Laurie, now had four children, and moved back to Texas so he could enroll in law school at South Texas College of Law, located in downtown Houston.
While attending STCL he worked with the Law firm of Alton Todd in Alvin Texas. Roy credits his success to the mentorship of Alton Todd where Roy learned to be a not only a good lawyer, but also a professional.
Over the past 20 years as a lawyer, Roy has proven to be creative, successful, and well regarded by clients, peers and judges alike. Throughout his life and career he has demonstrated he is intelligent, resilient, and a winner. He had to fight, scratch and claw his whole life coming from humble but noble beginnings. He is never judgmental of anyone for mistakes, always being respectful. He is just the kind of lawyer you need because he cares, understands, and will compassionately fight for his clients because he knows how, from fighting his whole life.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Personal Injury
  • DUI & DWI
  • Workers' Compensation
Additional Practice Areas
  • Expert Witness Regarding Insurance
  • Various other case
  • Free Consultation
    My fee depends on the type of case, for instance defending a criminal charge I must charge a retainer, personal injury cases I take on a contingency fee so you do not have to pay up front, workers compensation depends on the situation but if you think your do not need a lawyer ask yourself why the carriers have them.
  • Contingent Fees
    My contingent fees for workers compensation is 25%; for PI cases my fees are 1/3 of the recovery at most.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    With respect to criminal defense I must charge by the hour but I always give defendants a cap that my total charge for fees will never surpass; unless there is some extraordinary circumstance (which so far in 25 years has never happened).
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Roy L. Warren,
- Current
With respect to worker's compensation few people can match my experience. I have been involved with more than 4,000 worker's compensation cases by: (1) representing injured workers (IW) at all levels, including judicial review (jury trial); (2) working for insurance carriers, (3) teaching or moderating WC to other attorneys (3) working as administrative Judge for the Appeals Panel with DWC reviewing cases to ensure legal and factually sufficient reasons to affirm or reverse; (4) testifying as an expert witness on WC matters. Also I represent those charged with crimes whether it’s a traffic violation, misdemeanor, murder, or First Degree Felonies. Regarding Personal Injury cases, I have represented people for violation of Constitution rights, injured in automobiles, slip and falls, injured when sitting on a broken toilet seat, and I even assisted people with having their tortoises returned
Houston College of Law Houston
J.D. / Law (1991)
South Texas College of Law
J.D. / Law
Honors: Received American Jurispudence Award for Excellence in Property Law I and also Property Law II. Received award for highest grades in Civil Rights and Civil RICO.
Activities: While at UND I was elected as a Student Senator and I was appointed to be the Chairman of the Appropriations Committee. I was also a member of VITA. While at STCL I was a member of the moot court team and was a quarter finalist.
University of North Dakota
B.A. / Accounting
Honors: Awarded Accounting Department Scholarship for excellence in Accounting; Graduated in top 15%, Named to Honor Society Beta Alpha Psi; Named to deans list and National Deans list on multiple occassion.
Activities: I was elected Student Senator at UND and was also elected to be the Chair of the Appropriations Committee.
10 Best Criminal Law Attorneys in Texas
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Based on Client Satisfaction
10 Best DWI Attorneys in Texas
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Board Certified in Workers' Compensation Law
State Board of Legal Specialization
Board Certified in Worker's Compensation Law 2005-2015
Certified Public Accountant
The North Dakota Society of Certified Public Accountants
Professional Associations
Worker's Compensation Section of the Texas State Bar
Board Certified in Worker's Compensation
- Current
State Bar of Texas
Litigation Section of the Texas State Bar
- Current
Activities: Member
Texas State Bar # 20888685
- Current
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Current
Activities: Member as a CPA
The North Dakota Society of Certified Public Accountants
Certified Public Accountant
- Current
Activities: After passing the CPA examine I joined th North Dakota Society of Certified Public Accountants
USAA Amatuer Boxing Asssociation
Activities: As a certified boxing instructor with U.S.A.A. I trained amateurs in boxing. I was also certified to judge the events.
Articles & Publications
Suing IC for Medical Benefits
Appeals Panel Decision No. 030664
Speaking Engagements
Adjusting Workers' Compensation Cases, Workers Compensation, Radisson Hotel San Antonio
Texas Mutual Insurance
Moderated the event as well as presented other WC topics with other speakers.
Adjusting Workers' Compensation Cases, Workers Compensation, Radisson Hotel San Antonio
Texas Mutual Insurance
Moderated the event as well as presented other WC topics with other speakers.
Board Certified in Worker's Compensation
by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Certified Public Accountant
The North Dakota Society of Certified Public Accountants
Websites & Blogs
AVVO site
Legal Answers
173 Questions Answered

Q. if you resign your job after you receive an impairment rating does company still pay you rating settlement
A: Yes, you say they are "self-insured" that has a legal meaning that they still adhere to the wc rules. However, if they are a "nonsubscriber" that is different, but you can sue them for negligence and the case is treated as a personal injury case rather than wc. . As long as they follow wc rules you are entitled to your IR whether you work for them or not.
Q. A proper dx was given on 5/8/2017 herniated cervical disc, I notified employer of this and was told that I have no wc
A: Their response saying you were not employed long enough is laughable! If you are employed for a moment that would be long enough. Speak with a wc lawyer and pursue your claim. I hope they insist on that defense when you take it to a hearing. File a claim with DWC as soon as possible. Good luck.
Q. I was at work, and a taxi drove on the back of my leg resulting in an on-the-job injury. It is on film what can i do?
A: You have a personal injury claim in addition to the wc claim. Consult with a PI lawyer, most give a free consult and will take your case on a contingency basis so you do not pay until the case is won. As for your wc case make sure you give written notice of your injury within 30 days. You do not have to give written notice, it just makes things easier if you case is disputed. Also file a DWC 41 (first report of injury) with the TDI, DWC (division of workers compensation). You can find the form online. Good luck.
Q. I cannot provide an incident date for a work related injury. Can I file a claim still?
A: Hi, you laid out your question in a clear concise manner so I hope I can provide the same type of answer for you. The type of injury you apparently have is called a repetitive trauma or occupational disease type injury. These type of injuries are notorious for having a date of injury that can be very difficult to pin point. However I will give you some tips that will hopefully give you an advantage. ( I was a judge with the DWC appeals panel and I wrote more than one decision reversing hearing officers at DWC when they got the date of injury (DOI) wrong.) Is the DOI the date the injury first manifests? Probably not. Is the DOI the first day you are unable to perform work as you did before? Again, not likely. How about the first day you miss work? Again, not probable. SO you can see why insurance carriers will claim you did not give notice of your injury w/i 30 days. Just as you have described such injuries occur in increments, over time so it is hard to discern the DOI. The Appeals Panel has most often ruled the DOI is the date you sought medical attention and the medical provider links your condition to your employment. So that is your best DOI. If the injury is not reported w/i 30 days of the DOI you can establish "good cause" because of trivialization or minimization; you did not think it was more than soreness until it became so bad you had to seek medical help. But to establish good cause you must show that you had "good cause for each day thereafter that it was not reported. I understand you reported to your employer but it has been my experience employers seldom remember such reports. Also if the employer does not report a claimed injury to the IC in a timely manner the employer may have to pay out of pocket for the claim so they have an interest in not remembering. If you speak with the right lawyer familiar with WC you will know because they will be familiar with the lingo; such as BRO, HO, CCH, MMI/IR, TIBS, IIBS, SIBS, LIB, IRO; AND ON AND ON. Best of luck to you.
Q. So if someone is 17 and about to turn 18 in a little over 2 weeks can they legally date a 15 year old
A: The "Romeo and Juliet" law in Texas is what is known as an "affirmative defense", meaning it does not prevent a person from being charged, but if they are charged the defense must be raised if it applies (parties are no greater than 3 years apart in age). From the information provided, it is not clear if they are within 3 years in age. If as you state no sex is involved then it is not illegal BUT it would not be wise to take that risk. Also being 18 is not really the issue, the issue is whether they are within 3 years of age.
A: A couple of things, first you employer does not get to pick and choose which injuries to turn into its insurance carrier (IC). Once it knows you have alleged a WC claim, it MUST file its claim with the IC or it could waive valuable rights to dispute your claim. Also the employer does not have the authority to summarily deny you have a WC claim. You only have 30 days from your date of injury to report your injury so do it in writing. File your claim with the DWC, particularly if your medical provider is saying it was caused by your job. Best of luck to you.
Q. They told me that when the Doctor gave me the mmi rating of 5% × 3=15 × 266.00 = to 3990.00 back pay since they stopped
A: Assuming you signed a DWC 24, (an "agreement", but absolutely not a settlement because "settlements" are not allowed in WC) it probably included an agreement that you "agreed" to the MMI and IR given. If so you have a very hard situation because you will have to overcome the agreement AND the MMI/IR. Not many lawyers will want to take the case on a contingency (the only method allowed) but you can seek help from the DWC's ombudsman program. They will help yo through the DWC appeals process but not judicial review (Court). Good luck to you.
Q. Is there any was I can reopen my case they keep on telling me no but I know there's always something a lawyer can do to
A: I believe you are correct, a lawyer probably can figure out a way to reopen, particularly if you have it class correctly. WC cases in Texas are not supposed to be closed because they have life-time medical for the injury.
Q. my commercial tenant (restaurant) took some of my equipment, that is clearly stated as mine in an Exhibit of the lease?
A: From what you describe I believe so, it would be theft. Taking of property (nonviolent) that belongs to another is theft and the determination of what class of theft depends on the value of the property taken. You can report the the theft to the police department and it files charges.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1775 Oakwood Loop
San Marcos, TX 78666
Telephone: (512) 392-5188